How do you survive?

How do you do it? How do you get by every day? My family is in debt so bad, we don't make enough to pay all our bills since my husband's job went out of business and he has to work a minimum wage one now. We have so many bills, debt collectors calling every day, no food to eat (my husband "makes" too much for food stamps). I'm just so depressed...we can't afford health insurance so I can't afford antidepressants. I'm not asking for symphony 'cause I know there are a lot of people who are probably worse off than we are; I just want to know how you survive in this economy and not want to end your life every day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am in a similar situation, but I've never wanted to end my life b/c of it. We are just considering moving in with some family members until we can get back on our feet. We are trying not to have to do that though. but anyway if you want something to keep you from ending your life, how about your kids? what's gonna happen to them if you kill yourself? they will be worse off then they are now.
    Anonymous

• Do the best with what you have we have lots of debt as well we pay what we can when we can rent car stuff and baby are number 1 though
    hedtrippe

Answer by hedtrippe at 4:07 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We are not in your situation at all. Hubby works a good job in sales, but isn't making much right now. Anyway, we have no internet (blackberry is our internet because he sells cell phones and internet access is free), no cable, no phone (if he didn't get an employee plan on the cell phone we would not have cells, just a home phone), no vacations in 6 years, used to have just one vehicle (I had to take him to work if I needed the car), we spend $100 a week on groceries, toiletries, and diapers, no eating out.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:08 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Can you not get some work yourself, im a single mum of three, with a very supportive mum to help she minds my children every evening while i work and i work while they are at school its not an ideal situation but i get by, and i tell myself it will be allright eventually
    niceandspice

Answer by niceandspice at 4:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Also, call the people you owe money to and work something out!! See if you can get a payment lowered. If you have medical bills, most have payment plans and its better to talk to them rather than let it go to a creditor. Take care of your family, keep looking for a better job. I will be praying for you today.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I am very sorry that you are having this hard time. No wonder you are unhappy. Could your husband get a second job? Could you bring in money, too? babysitting, cleaning... We lived from paycheck to paycheck for a while, it was a concern, but we managed. I grew a lot of our own food in my vegetable garden and with fruit trees, and I was very careful about what food was cheap. We made do with one car- an old one that we kept running, we used the heat and AC as little as possible and had no luxuries other than being a family. Keep working on this and be determined that you will succeed.

Answer by Bmat at 4:18 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We survive by budgeting. Its crucial to know where every dime goes. Also pay down your debt, even if its just $5 here and there. Let them know that at least some money is coming to them. Also maybe consider downsizing your home or moving in with family., or even renting out a room maybe. Also buy off brand foods, make sure you don't spend extra money on eating out. Cut out internet and tv and other bills you don't have to have. Save up your errands so you don't spend more on gas. There is goverment programs to help with daycare so you can go back to work. In arkansas where I live its called the TEA program, not sure what it is where you live.
    Me and my husband and son make it on like 30000 a year. We have not debt, own our own home, 3 trucks, 3 fourwheelers and a boat and camper. You can too. Just budget and don't buy new, buy used and fix it.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 4:21 PM on May. 30, 2009

• in ou said DH made too much for foodstamps and that sucks but have u tried maybe calling about medicare or medicaid for health. i know in ia they have something called hawkeye ins and it covers atleast the kids if not mroe (im not sure) for at the most $10 a month. drs offices usually have the info for that kinda stuff i think. or call the local courthouse to see if u qualify for any kind of aid. i suffer from depression as well and its a horrible disease. hopefully u can find somthing that will help. if u need to talk to anybody feel free to msg me,
    it is very hard for us to get by too. my DH were jsut saying last night about how we're stuck in the middle we make too much to get any assistance, and yet we dont make enough to cover all the bills.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 4:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We survive by budgeting and making goals. We are in debt right now (about $13,000 in student loans) but we have a goal to get out of debt, by a certain date. I don't know- just having a goal helps you see the light at the end up the tunnel ya know? It also reminds you what you are working for.

Let me know if you need help planning a budget, or anything like that. I know it's hard, but you'll get through this. If you really need food, go to the food bank, go to local churches, etc. You'll pull through.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:24 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We are getting by only BY THE GRACE OF GOD...seems whenever we need something, like this weekend our van broke down. we had 614.00 in the back and the repair bill was 657.00 and somehow my husband got 80.00 worth of tips (he is a fedex driver) from customers...GOD IS GREAT!!!!!!!!! you just have to believe that he willget you thru!!!!!!!!!!!11
    baby4at38

Answer by baby4at38 at 7:08 PM on May. 30, 2009