SIDS

Can my baby die of sids by sleeping on top of me on her belly.It's the only way i can get her to go to sleep.I've tried swaddling,swing,rocking.What else can i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Please speak to your ped. ASAP about her sleeping habits. One of the best places to find out about SIDS is from www.sids.org. It the American SIDS Institute and they also have a section at the bottom about "back to sleep" for infants that don't like sleeping on their backs. BOL
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 4:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I did that for a few days with my baby girl because she would not sleep otherwise. I don't know if it's a SIDS risk, but it's not safe because they could roll off or you could roll onto them or something like that.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 4:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• No. Belly sleeping isn't a SIDS risk when they're on mom or dad. Your maternal instincts won't let you roll on your baby. Crib mattresses are known to kill babies cause of all the flame retardants in them. So when their face is right against the mattress, they're breathing it right in. Our babies are meant to sleep on us. It's our biological design.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:36 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I would say no seeing as I have a healthy 9 month old little boy how has slept on my chest A LOT... Dont let the worry of SID's consume you or you will never enjoy motherhood just accept it and enjoy your little bunddle of joy... I know easier said then done but I promise you will be glad you did.. I was
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 4:44 PM on May. 30, 2009

• There are safe ways to sleep with your baby. There is such a big push to only put baby in a crib that there is not enough info out there on other ways to sleep safe. For example, NEVER sleep on a couch or in a recliner with your baby. On your chest is fine, but make sure it is a safe "sleep environment" fo a good list of what is safe/unsafe go to Should I sleep with my baby

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:42 PM on May. 30, 2009

• A baby can die of SIDS no matter what, no matter when. If you spend all your time worrying about the "what if's" you'll never enjoy your baby or motherhood.
    Anonymous

• My baby spends a lot of time on my chest and in a sling. I don't think it is a risk as they are able to turn their heads to get air. Also, being in that close proximity, I know that if my baby even sighs I notice it. I could be in the deepest sleep and still notice. Enjoy these precious months... they are only babies for such a short time and they crave to be close to you. Remember at this point she still believes that you and her are 1. There is no distinction for her and she needs you close to feel safe and secure. The sooner I accepted this, the happier both my baby and I were. She now naps so well and sleeps even better at night. Check out www.drsears.com for some good advice
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 9:39 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I think it's totally natural. My son use to sleep like that, he just turned 13 months and I miss the days when he use to sleep on me. I think it's actually safer then a very young baby sleeping in a crib by her self. I've talked to many other moms who's baby did the same thing, I think babies sleep like that because the sound of your heart beat soothes them. I wouldn't worry about it.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:27 AM on May. 31, 2009