Special Education Question: How many students with disablities share the same room with your kid(s)?

Some schools promote integrating students with disabilities in a mainstream classroom is this kind of School your kid(s) go to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on May. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• My kids aren't in school, but the schools I was in were mainstreaming schools. I thought it was really nice. I used to wish I had a wheelchair when I was in elementary school, although that seems stupid now. If I were to send my children to public school they would go to all the same schools I did, but we aren't planning to do that.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 4:59 PM on May. 30, 2009

• What type of special ed are you talking about? There are several levels of disabilities - We have severe kids who have MR, and then there are those who have learning disabilities who have IEP's (Individual education plans) I am a school teacher by day and I sell Gold Canyon candles in the after noons for extra fun money and I can tell you that on average I have about 3 kids per class of 22 that have IEP's. I usually have about 25 kids a semester or so with an IEP, and I occassionally have students who come from the severe/MR classroom to work with my kids, but that is just one student.

We work hard to include those children with the rest of the kids, and they are very well accepted by those around them. - Does that help at all?
    GCWix-n-Stix

Answer by GCWix-n-Stix at 5:37 PM on May. 30, 2009

• my daughter is in a autism classroom and only has about 6 students total.......they require alot of one on one attention.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:06 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Depends. He's had between 8 and probably 12. He's in a trainable class now. There is a teacher and about 4 aids. Some of the kids can do things for themselves, some need constant looking after. His last class had 8 kids, a teacher, an all day aid and a half day aid. He's in a self contained class, but they may go to art with other classes, pe, recess, things like that. They have interaction with other kids, but they basically are with their own class all day.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 10:32 PM on May. 30, 2009