miss picky

my daughter wants to only drink gaterade, blue gaterade at that! She is three and doesnt want to drink anything besides (blue juice). Im getting fed up with all the juice she drink and try to give her water and other juice. Milk is not an option for her either and i know they need their milk everyday. So how can i get her to drink milk beside in her cereal and other drinks without getting tantrums from her?

beastandkids

Asked by beastandkids at 4:18 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Kids' Health

• let's see..the main reason why kids need milk is because of calcium, vitamin D and other nutrients in milk...what you can do is give her foods that contain these nutrients that way she can still have her daily recommended intake without being forced to drink milk. does she like other dairy products such as cheese and yoghurt?
    Mwaina

Answer by Mwaina at 5:46 PM on May. 30, 2009

• yes so does and she loves sour cream? She is a weird eater but i do try to give her things she needs to grow.
    beastandkids

Answer by beastandkids at 5:56 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Past the age of two, there is no reason to give a child any beverage besides water. Only baby cows need cow milk.
    Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    That blue stuff is fairly toxic; I wouldn't give to my worst enemy, let alone a child.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:18 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Just don't give it to her!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:33 PM on May. 30, 2009

• You could try food coloring in water and milk it might get her more interested in it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:59 PM on May. 30, 2009

• If she doesn't like regular milk, see if she might like soy milk (try it normal, and Silk has really yummy 'very vanilla' and chocolate soy milk with more calcium in it then the milk DF likes to get. If she likes cheese and sour cream, those are also good sources of calcium. She doesn't need MILK, she needs calcium. There are plenty of things that she can get it from.. :)
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 9:54 PM on May. 30, 2009

• She doesn't need milk everyday, She can have other dairy products like cheese, yogurt and even ice cream instead. My son hasn't drank much milk since he was about 18 months, we are just not milk drinkers. He does like chocolate silk, which is chocolate soy milk. Try chocolate milk or adding a few drops of blue food coloring to her milk to make it blue. I wouldn't keep giving her a lot of gatorade, it is not good to drink that a lot, it is to restore electrolytes when exercising, playing sports or when dehydrated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:16 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Your going to get tantrums at first. Stay firm & matter-of-factly. The law is the law. Stop buying blue juice & she will have no choice in the matter & you can't give in. I had a flavored milk problem & didn't even realize it until my dd took a drink of my white milk, stepped back, & let it fall out of her mouth. No strawberry or chocolate syrup entered my home for almost a year. It didn't take her long to get over it, but I wanted to make sure she knew white milk was the norm. My kids forget about syrups now & I toss them before they are all used up.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:29 AM on May. 31, 2009