why is my 3 year old adding an extra ending to all her words?

like for example, the word "PUSHED" turns into "PUSHED-ED" and things like that... it drives me nuts!!! She never did this until she started playing with my FIL's little girl. How can I teach her proper language skills?

mamajody0507

Asked by mamajody0507 at 4:21 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is normal, actually it is good, it means she is recognizing that the ending is something added to words. To help her correct her language just repeat the word properly. The first few times explain that it is "one too many ed's" or something like that, then just say it properly every time she says it wrong. She will pick up on it. Try to resist the urge to be the word police & nag or be shrill about it. Remember it is part of the learning process.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:32 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Just gently repeat the correct word whenever she uses the incorrect form. Don't make a big deal about it, because that would just make her think it was something worth playing at. So if she says: "The girl pusheses the carriage." - nod and say "Yes, she pushes the carriage." and move on to something else. Children enjoy doing what you are observing. My granddaughter made me chuckle when she was three instead of "no" it was "no-ah." So funny! But to make sure that she knows the right word gently repeat the correct form, other than that let her play with her words. :)

Answer by Bmat at 4:28 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Correct her each time, by asking if she means 'pushed' instead, for example. But don't make a big deal out of it. Like all things, the phase will pass.
    Anonymous

• my little girl says "babies " when there is only one baby. there vocabulary will grow as they grow. give it time and help a much as you can
    Anonymous

• It has nothing to do with that other little girl. My neice did the same thing at the same age.....I'm pretty sure she doesn't know that other kid. She used to say things like "toila-let" or "window-dex"...it was always funny. She grew out of it and is a budding 12 year old now. I always thought her tongue was going faster than her brain. haha
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 4:43 PM on May. 30, 2009