If you are anti- gay marriage, can you answer why without involving religion in your answer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yup... Marriage between man and a woman was placed that way for a reason. To produce offspring and to have a healthy covenant relationship. It is also for the reason of family structure. It is been proven that many children suffer without a mother or a father in the home. When you have same sex marriages raising children it breaks down the dynamics of family. If you don't believe me do your own research.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:05 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Because civil unions give you everything heterosexual married couples have...but GLBT people want it all! Since traditional marriage is a religious sacrament, and by being GLBT, you are going against the religious doctrine, then your "marriage" according to religious doctrine is null and void.

GLBT are trying really hard to "re-write" THOUSANDS of years of religious doctrine saying it doesn't matter....but it does, and you can't everything you want, just because you want it.

Why you can't just be happy living together forever and ever fully committed to one another, leaving each other as executors of your estates in your wills, adopt, get a surrogate or use IVF for children if you feel the need, and leave the REST of the country who are happy following religious doctrine alone!
    Anonymous

• wow, anon, just wow....
    there is so much in that response that is inaccurate... so much....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• (and the OP asked for answers that DON'T have to do with religion...)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Lol. Except the country doesn't follow the same religious doctrine!
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have nothing against the GLBT community getting married. And, I was raised in a house withoput a father for a while, and I turned out fine. And, the resaech that has been referenced deals specifically with children who were raised in SINGLE parent households. If a gay couple were allowed to marry, there would be two parents.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

• So Shan are you saying couples who do not want children should not be married or couples that can not produce children????
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Looks like the answer is no.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Why should we place the desires and thoughts of what is right according to the 'religious' over the other non-religious people in our Country, huh? It goes both ways you know... Why can't you people just give them what they want, mind your own souls and marriages and keep your noses and stuck-up egos out of other people's business? Marriage was not invented by Christians no matter how hard they might want to believe that.

If marriage is only for pro-creating then people who can't have kids or who are in menopause shouldn't be allowed to be married either- it's only fair. As for structure, there are MANY ancient cultures where children were raised by mothers only and they turned out fine. It's not how many or what kind of parents you have that matters, but the quality of parenting you give and/or receive that makes a person who they are.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I personally really value traditional marriage. I don't think they need to use the word marriage, that has a history of applying to a man and a woman comitting for life and starting a family. I don't think we need to change the meaning of the word, because in doing so we devalue it.

But I do think that civil unions can be made to give them the same benefits of a traditional marriage. I feel that they should have the same legal rights. They can even have a better word for it than "civil unions" that reflects the depth of their commitment and love for each other, while not using the word marriage. I think the word marriage should be saved to describe traditional commitments and that gays can have the same declaration of love and the same relationship rights without having to use the word that applies a traditional marriage.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:25 PM on May. 30, 2009