any tips on ways to save more money at the grocery store?

Hi My name is Mwaina, I'm a single mom of two (13 year old girl and a 20 months old boy). i recently starter clipping grocery coupons in magazines and local newspapers which has helped a lot financially. i was wondering if anyone had any additional tips for me on ways to lower my grocery bill. thank you for reading my post.

Mwaina

Asked by Mwaina at 5:24 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Be sure to check your flyers for specials at the stores. Stores usually run sales along side of the coupons and many of the coupons you have will be for items that are on sale at certain stores.

Make a list - Stick to it and compare prices - DO not make impulse buys on things that you do not need. If you stick to a list, it will cut costs.

Shop on a FULL stomach - When you go to the grocery store hungry, you tend to make more inpulse buys and will spend more money on things that you didn't really need.

Plan meals by the week. - In planning your menus, you will spend less time at the store, running back to the store for things that you do not have, and you cann make several things from the larger packages of meats or veggies that you purchase. Buying in bulk can save you money, but you have to prepare it right away or store it properly to avoid waste.

Hope these few tips help you out!
    GCWix-n-Stix

Answer by GCWix-n-Stix at 5:31 PM on May. 30, 2009

• past the age of two, the only beverage that humans need is water; don't buy juice, milk, soda, etc., except as a special treat.
    cook from scratch
    replace meat with beans, lentils and tofu
    cook dried beans instead of buying canned.
    Whole grains, like whole wheat pasta and brown rice, may cost more than simple grains, like white rice and pasta, but they are more filling and more nutritious, so they really are the better value.
    frozen fruits and vegetables often cost less than fresh; they have the added advantage of having a longer shelf life and holding their nutrition longer.
    Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner: yogurt with frozen blueberries and whole grain cereal or an omelette with veggies and a little bit of cheese and whole grain toast.
    If you would like some healthy and budget friendly recipes, feel free to contact me.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• but store brands., even with a sale most things store brand are cheaper< but beware compare ounces as well>

i buy my meats either in bulk or in teh discount bin, just as good as long as you use them before they expire or freeze them

also try and find stores that double coupons

and print coupns of online

hope this helps!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 5:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Before you go to the grocery store, plan your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Base your grocery list on your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons. Eat before you shop. Buy only what is on your list. The sales at the store are not to save you money, but to get you to buy more than you need; if you don't know for sure that you will use it in the next two weeks, don't buy it.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:42 PM on May. 30, 2009

• The eat before you shop suggestion is so true. To save gas, and since we live in the boonies, I try to combine trips, so I shop on the way home from work. But I'm tired and hungry and do a lot of impulse shopping that I don't do on days that I haven't worked.

Answer by Bmat at 9:43 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Eat before you shop and don't take the kids. Also, I buy the foods I know that will get eaten, even if it is a more expensive than store brands. I would rather spend the extra money to get what is eaten than throw away food because it was cheaper. (throwing away food is a waste of money too). Take a list and check what you have before going shopping.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:26 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I push the groceries as far as I can possibly get them. Here's a few tips.

which do you go for? The can of diced tomatoes at 88 cents OR the can of whole stewed tomatoes at 68 cents? - buy the whole stewed and chop them up yourself using either a blender or a knife and fork - you've still got diced tomatoes - but you paid 20 cents less per can.

Use milk in a lot of recipes? Most people do - mashed potatoes, macaroni, gravy, soups, etc. Milk is almost $5.00 a gallon - BUT canned milk is about 98 cents per can. You can't tell the difference in your recipe and one can makes about 1/2 gallon of milk.

Cook bacon/sausage for breakfast - save the drippings in an old glass jar - it serves as flavor and oil in things like green beans, dry beans, hash browns, gravy, etc.

If you have an HEB look for their meal deals - like buy 2 lbs ground meat and get the noodles, sauce, cheese and bread free.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:24 PM on May. 31, 2009