Do you think it is better for a child to be raised in a family with two parents?

Or do you think single moms can do just as good a job? What about same sex couples?
I was raised by just my mom for 4 years of my life (2-6). I turned out just fine. I don't think it has anything to do with how many parental figures the child has. I think the quality of the parenting is what determines how a child will turn out.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 5:34 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with you to an extent. My borthers and i were raised by my mom for 13 yrs and I turned out decent. My brothers didnt have a male role model. They are still confused on what a man is supposed to do in a relationship. I believe single parents can raise great kids. But a household with 2 parents is my way.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 5:37 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I completely agree with you. You could have 50 parents, but if they're not good at what they do, it doesn't matter.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:37 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I think a 2 parent household has an easier time. It doesn't matter if those two parents are mom and grandma, dad and dad or mom and dad, but the presence of two adults to divide the work is what makes a difference. Yes, single parents raise some great kids, but just think what that parent could've done with someone to carry half the burden.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:39 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I think you are right. I was raised by a single mother. One parent can do a good job, even though it is hard. I also think that it is better for a child to have 2 good parents, no matter who they are then to have a drug addict dad, like I did.
    Indygirl18

Answer by Indygirl18 at 5:42 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I think kids can turn out fine either way, but I think it is beneficial if the children have two parents preferably a father and mother. You learn so much about your value from the different ways your parents relate to you. So I feel like I was blessed to have the advantage of an amazing mother (my best friend now) and a very easy to talk to father. My dad is amazing. I asked him so many questions about boys, sex, porno, etc. He helped me so much to find out my worth as a woman. It was also helpful to see the family dynamics between the two of them.

That said, if one parent is abusive or addicted to drugs it can be worse than having just one parent. Also gay and lesbian parents can me super good parents too. So it just depends on the actual parents.

I give my parents an A grade. I love them very much.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:45 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Assuming we're talking about good parents all around, I agree with not panicking, it's easier for two parent households.

And I'll go further and say it's easier, for two gender parents because kids have important things to learn from both genders. Men and women, have different brains by nature, and different things to offer a child - and that's a good thing to be around a good role model of both.

So not impossible or totally unlikely for a well adjusted kid to come from a single-gender home, but it is easier for the parents and the kids when there's a good mom and dad around.

Anonymous

• I honestly believe that we can't generalize, as many couples do a terrible job with their children, many single parents do wonderfully,and many homosexuals do well also. It doesn't have anything to do with your marriage/relationship status, or your sexuality (or the amount of money you make, as I have seen the argument that rich/poor parents are better/worse, or celebrities make better/worse parents). It comes down to whether the individual (or individual couple) is doing a good job, and we can't know that unless we really know the individual (or couple) personally and see their parenting skills for ourselves.
    Although I don't agree with judging anyone on their parenting ability, unless the child is obviously being neglected/abused, as I believe we're all doing the best we can and doing what we believe is the best for our children, and we have to respect that.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I think 2 parent households(be them man/woman or same sex) have an easier time at it and I think its better all the way around.

However, I do think single parent homes can be fulfilling and do well.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:13 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I think it would be easier to raise a child with two parents. I know its hard enough with two parents, let alone one. God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I've been on both side of this coin...I left/divorced my first husband when my baby was 6 months old. (he was mentally, emotionally, and physically abusive). I raised her alone until she was 4 years old and remarried. I now have 3 children and am still married. Being a single mom is HARD. There's no breaks, no down-time, no sharing of the responsibilities, duties, etc. I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO ALL SINGLE MOMS OUT THERE WHO ARE STRUGGLING BUT DOING THE BEST THEY CAN....
    It is easier having a spouse around . However, if a child is in the middle of an abusive relationship, that child will be so much better off with one parent and be happy than with two and be miserable. Especially, girls....they DO NOT need to see their mom being disrespected, degraded, or abused by any man. Boys too, need a positive Male role model in their lives. Unfortunately, that's not always the case with their DADs. Thankfully, there are good men out
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:33 PM on May. 30, 2009