baptism

if baptism is supposed to symbolize your acceptance of God in your life, then why do some religions bap. their babies when they dont know anything yet and will not even remember that day? please help me understand. thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some faiths liken an infant baptism to a dedication. A promise to God to raise the child in Him. With that, there is often a confirmation, which the child usually chooses to partake in around11-13 years of age, and at that point, the child chooses to accept God. Also, it's a reaffirmation of the parents acceptance of God.
    Anonymous

• In the Christian faith, we believe in the Believer's Baptism. What that means is that first you must be SAVED. Salvation is as simple as accepting Jesus Christ to come into your heart and be your Lord and Savior. You must have complete faith that Jesus is God's son and that he was sent to earth to die on the cross for our sins. You say the sinner's prayer which can be done anywhere....church, home, in a parking lot, etc. And, then you repent of those sins. Repentance is simply turning away from the sins and trying not to repeat them. Of course, sin happens every day, so asking forgiveness is a continuous process...........Salvation is the acceptance of God in your life. Baptism comes After Salvation...it's following God's teaching. Just as Jesus was Baptized in the Jordan River by John, we are to be baptized by full emersion also. Baptism symbolizes the washing away of our sins and making us clean again. Some even say it's
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:44 PM on May. 30, 2009

• making us white as snow. I, like you, have never understood the baptizing of babies. I agree that they have no understanding of right or wrong, or anything else, so why baptize at such a young age? For Christians, you should be at an age that you are at the age of accountability or older. The age is different for everyone, but it's basically understanding right from wrong. We also need to understand the Plan of Salvation and knowingly and willingly accept Christ into our lives on complete faith. My children were ages 4, 5, and 6 when they were saved. I personally didn't come to know Christ as I should until I was 22 years old. I've known others who were in the 70's or 80's even. Some on their deathbeds....But I can tell you, that my entire life totally changed at 22, and I've tried to live for God every single day since. And it brings me so much comfort in knowing that all 3 of my children will some day be with the Lord. N
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:50 PM on May. 30, 2009

• matter what happens, no one can take that away from them. It's a peace in your heart and in your mind like no other.

Sorry I wrote so much. God Bless
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:51 PM on May. 30, 2009

• From the Catholic Catechism;

1250 Born with a fallen human nature and tainted by original sin, children also have need of the new birth in Baptism to be freed from the power of darkness and brought into the realm of the freedom of the children of God, to which all men are called. The sheer gratuitousness of the grace of salvation is particularly manifest in infant Baptism. The Church and the parents would deny a child the priceless grace of becoming a child of God were they not to confer Baptism shortly after birth.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 6:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• It depends on whether your particular denomination believes in Original Sin. Which is basically because Adam and Eve sinned and we are their decendents then it carried over to us. So a baby needs to be baptized to be wiped clean of that sin.

Other denominations take the position of children are innocent in the eyes of the Lord and believe you should wait to be baptized until you believe or have an understanding of what you are doing.

Some denominations that don't baptize infants, have other ceremonies. Like Blessings or Dedications where you are basically vowing to raise the child in that religion.

I didn't understand the difference when DS was born and had him baptized. My grandmother wasn't happy about it, but she didn't go on about it much after I explained I didn't know the difference. (Religiously I was a mongrel, LOL) so I tend to have a mesh of beliefs that don't neccessarily work for others. DD was blessed
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 6:56 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Baptism does not symbolize the acceptance of God into your life.

Baptism is a dedication made between the church and the individual who is being baptized (or their parents) that the church (and sponsors/Godparents) will help them learn and practice their faith. As seen in the Baptism of Jesus, Baptism is an invocation of the Holy Spirit. We ask that the Holy Spirit blesses the person and the parents dedicate themselves to raising the child in the church. We ask that the Holy Spirit guide the person's soul, from infancy, to believing one day and following Christ.

I do not believe that Baptism washes anyone's sins away. Jesus was Baptized and he had no sin. It is simply a dedication and invocation of the Holy Spirit. Mode of Baptism is NOT important because it cannot save your soul. Despite lack of Biblical precedence, people believe that Baptism saves a child's soul. Jesus says FAITH saves us. Period.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• In the Christian faith, we believe in the Believer's Baptism. What that means is that first you must be SAVED.
    ------------
    I just have to politely clarify that this believe does not entail the entire Christian faith. Many protestant denominations baptise their infants if they've first confirmed that the infant's parents are believers and can therefore uphold their dedication to raising the child under Christian principles by help from the church. Credobaptism, as far as I know, is narrowed down to Baptist denominations, off-shoots of the Anabaptist faith, Adventists as well as some Church of Christ, Evangelical and Pennecostal denominations. Presbyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, Nazarenes, Catholics, Anglicans (to name a few) all participate in pedobaptism. They will also perform credobaptism on an adult believer so long as it is their first baptism (we believe the Holy Spirit does it right the first time lol).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:28 PM on May. 30, 2009

• As for immersion vs. sprinkling, like I said, the mode of Baptism isn't important because it does not save your soul. The Bible does not specify how Jesus was baptized. In one passage it says, he "went down into the river and was baptized." If you've seen the river Jordan, you know you have to walk down the river bank to get to the water, therefore, the "down" part could very well have nothing to do with Jesus' position in the water while getting baptized. In addition, crowds of people were baptized by just a few men at once. It isn't physically feasable to think that these few men dunked ALL of those people. From archeological study as well as the basic feasability of the accomplishment has lead many protestant faiths to believe that an animal skin was most likely drenched with water and swing out over the people, sprinkling large quantities at once.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:35 PM on May. 30, 2009

• NovemberLove...I've never heard of it translated like that. It's interesting!

For me, I'm letting my kids wait until they're older to decide whether or not it's something they'd like to do. I've still not gotten baptized...I keep meaning too but I'm terrible with consistency and don't go to church on a regular basis.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:53 PM on May. 30, 2009