Any ideas to keep my 14 month old out of the dog dish?

My son has mastered the safety gate, we just have a basic gate, kept in the kitchen to keep him away from the dog dishes. Luckily our pup can jump it, even though it does make him grumpy to have to do so. But the past few days every time I turn around he is running towards the dog dish, on the other side of the gate. Is there a kind of dog dish set up that he can't get to, or perhaps a convenient gate that we won't have to step over just to put a dish in the sink? Any ideas/comments, HELP! :)

Stephie999

Asked by Stephie999 at 6:38 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL i had this same problem when my daughter was about that age. Luckily for us, we have a screened in porch where we kept the dog food. However, perhaps you can try only filling up the food and water when it's time for the dog to eat. I also believe that they sell a certain dish that the food only comes out by motion or something.. not sure.. but if so hopefully your son won't figure out the trick to that! As far as the gates, they make ones that you can flip the handle and slide it open rather than climbing over. Good luck! =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:47 PM on May. 30, 2009

• ewwwwww its so gross but my lil guy is so funny get a snap shot of it for giggle when hes older!!!!
    he'll snick then ull say mason see him an hes puttin it in his pockets hiding the bowl and eating it all in time b4 i get to him!!feed them when hes asleep then when he wakes pick the dishes up pain in the butt kinda but idk if u get ideas tell me too!!!!!!
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 9:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i have same issue w/ cat dish..lol
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 10:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We decided that we're going to put the dog food/water in the bathroom & invest in a better gate, lol. We have two bathrooms, so it won't be too much of a hassle, and the pup can jump the gate luckily... We'll see how this one goes, it'll be nice to have my kitchen back!
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 2:13 AM on May. 31, 2009