I NEED U ALL TO HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS

WHEN I GOT MARRIED TO MY HUSBAND I WENT TO CITY HALL TO PUT MY HUSBAND'S LAST NAME MY QUESTION IS THIS I WENT THERE THEY TOLD ME TO CHOOSE WHICH LAST NAME I TOLD THE LADY I SAID I WANT BOTH NAMES MY DAD'S LAST NAME AND MY HUSBAND'S LAST NAME SHE SAID THEN U WANT IT HYNATED IT I SAID YES ?I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION I DIDNT GO TO COURT TO CHANGE MY NAME WHAT WILL HAPPEN I STILL USE MY DAD LAST NAME BECAUSE I STILL HAVE MY SS AND MY PASSPORT ON MY DAD LAST NAME IS IT A PROBLEM . CAN I STILL USE MY DAD LAST NAME ON ANYTHING PLZ HELP ME?

ranay375

Asked by ranay375 at 6:59 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Relationships

• your name gets changed automatically on your marriage record you dont go to court to have it changed but you do have to go to the ss office to get a new ss card with new name hope this is what ur asking
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 7:05 PM on May. 30, 2009

• You don't go to court to change anything. It's done. You just send a copy of the marriage certificate to the passport folks and SS. They do it for you. If you hyphened dad's name into your married name then yes you can still use it. I may not be understanding your question though. Just use dad's name and add hubby's to it. That's your new legal name. I sign everything with my legal name but use my dad's name verbally like when I go back to my hometown. No one knows me by my married name so I don't use it unless I sign something.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:05 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Your legal name now is say Smith-Johnson
    You go to the drivers license place with your marriage certificate, as well as the SS office and just add the -newname to it.
    You need to go have it changed for legal purposes. I didn't with my first husband, but I never used his last name and it worked out since we were married less than a year anyway.. just had it court ordered to get my maiden name back.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:07 PM on May. 30, 2009

• p.s. don't forget to take the marriage license to the driver's license place if you have an ID and/or driver's license and voter's registration if you are registered to vote.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:07 PM on May. 30, 2009

• oops Lisa ann p beat me to the license post

Answer by admckenzie at 7:08 PM on May. 30, 2009

• admckenzie,lisa ann p,and rhonda thanks for answering my questions
    ranay375

Answer by ranay375 at 7:34 PM on May. 30, 2009