delaying solids

are any of you ladies out there delaying solids and exclusively breastfeeding? i have decided not to feed solids and to just breastfeed exclusively for one year(hopefully). i would love to hear your thoughts on this, or your personal experiences.

mom2sweetestboy

Asked by mom2sweetestboy at 7:15 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister in law does that. Her kids are very healthy and do great. My 7 month old eats very little solids. I am increasing them more though because she is now waking up at least two times at night. She was sleeping through the night before. I hope you get some more input, I don't know much about this!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:28 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i started my son at 6 m/o, but he only got a tblspn a day at first, just for the practice and allergy testing. he was also breastfed! i support delaying solids; i just did it slowly!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We delay solids, but we do more baby led. At around 6-7 months, when ours can sit up, we start putting little bits of soft food on their tray while the rest of us eat. When they are interested, they eat.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:25 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Keep in mind that you also want to watch your baby for signs that they are ready, rather than sticking to a set age. There are big benefits of EBF for at least 6 months, I have not seen any info on waiting 12mos. There is some info that shows delaying until 7 months decreases baby's risk of anemia. I'll post below:
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:25 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Here is an excerpt form THE BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, published by La Leche League, 2003.

"The iron stores the full-term baby has at birth coupled with the readily absorbed iron in human milk are usually enough to keep hemoglobin levels within the normal limits (10.2 to 15 gm/dL) into the baby's second six months of life. One study of breastfed babies not given iron supplements or iron fortified cereal found that those babies who were exclusively breastfed for seven months or longer has significantly higher hemoglobin levels at one and two years than breastfed babies who received solid foods earlier than seven months. Although some of the breastfed babies who received solids before seven months were found to be anemic by their first birthday, the researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year among babies breastfed exclusively for seven months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:26 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We are waiting until 6 months and will only do one small amount of oatmeal a day at dinner time for a month or so and then start baby food, one new food every two weeks. Oatmeal is healthier than infant cereal.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 8:30 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I waited till 11 mo with my son. Sure he was ready, but it wasn't necissary for him to have them. Mamma milk was all he needed. Now at 23 mo he is super healthy, eats everything he can get his hands on.
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 9:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i have 4 and have w all EBF until they are ready and showing signs of interest, i do not deny them a taste of something once theya re old enough... usually older than 6 mo's sitting unassisted, grabbing for or holding their hands out when we are eating, etc... \w my first she was not interested in any food or drinks other than her milk until she was about 8 mos, but my boys i think started around 6-7 mo's MOST of their nutrition was from BFing :)
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 9:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I EBF until DD was 6 months old. After that, it was just a couple times here and there that she had solids, until about 9-10 months where she eat at least 1 thing a day. I'm still BFing her at 2 years old :)

I would say great for looking into that. Def. EBF until at least 6 months. However, I would not DENY a babe solids when they are 8-9-10 + months if they really want to eat, kwim? If they REALLY want it, there are perefectly healthy things you can give them.

bananas for one :)

my daughter has never had a jar of baby food touch her lips, I'm very proud of that :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

• We need self feeding, which resulted in delayed solids. I figured that she would know best when her body was ready for solids.

At about 6.5 months, I started offering foods that she could hold easily. If she could pick it up, put it in her mouth, chew, swallow and not choke, she was ready. She sucked on steam broccoli and graham crackers, but was 99% breastfed till about 18 months.

i guess her digestive system just needed more time to mature. She is 3 now, and is not a picky eater in the least. She loves fruits, veggies, whole grains, and so on.

My friend also took the same approach with her daughter, and she grabbed a handful of lamb curry off her plate and ate it before they realized what she was doing.... at 5.5 months! Its more important that you pay attention and follow their cues as to when they need solids.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 10:19 PM on May. 30, 2009