my daughters are 3 and 2 they dont talk much like say anything.they still talk like little babies i know we all say we dont want them 2 grow up 2 fast but is this normal for there age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on May. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• At the age of 2 roughly 75% of what they say should be understood by others. At the age of 3 about 80-90% should be understood by others.

If this is not the case, I would call Early Intervention for the 2 year old and your school district's special education department for the 3 year old. They can do some evaluations and see if they would benefit from speech therapy. You don't need a doctor's referral and there isn't any cost to you.

There is a huge difference between them not growing up too fast and being able to speak correctly.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:15 AM on May. 31, 2009

• if you mean they talk to each other this way but to others like adults than yes its normal, its their own little language, if they don't talk to anyone as adults than you should have them see a speech therapist
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:34 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Talk to your kids DR about it. he would be able to tell you best and schedule and evaluation with a speech therapist if he thinks it may be a problem.
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 8:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Do you make them say words. Like when they want something, or do you just let them point. We made our daughter tell us what she wanted, it didn't have to be perfect, but she could just point and grunt. But my DD is an only child and she was mostly around adults so she had to learn to get her point across quick. Your girls seem to be bonding with their own language which is great, but when they speak to you or other adults make them say the correct words or at least try.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:41 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2, and "talks like a baby" sometimes. He tries to say words, but has alot of trouble. Another mom on here told me about The Scotish Rite program, which is a speech therapy. I found one in my area and we are starting speech therapy in June. I would talk to your kids doctor, and see if they feel speech therapy is necessary, that way you can get a doctors referal.
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 12:24 AM on May. 31, 2009

• really good advice from all the moms
    mcqueenmom

Answer by mcqueenmom at 8:38 AM on May. 31, 2009