it always hurts to lay on my left side. i know ur not alowed to be on ur right side nor sleep on ur back while pregnant. is there another way to sleep that wont hurt me or the baby?

arud

Asked by arud at 7:35 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can be on your right side, it's just better to be on the left side because air and blood circulation is better, use lots of pillows and flip nack and forth as much as you need to to get comfy!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:38 PM on May. 30, 2009

• sleeping on your right side won't hurt the baby. they recommend sleeping on the left b/c the heart is on the left so it pumps more oxygen and blood to the uterus. however its not harmful to sleep on the right, in fact in the last few months i couldn't sleep anywhere except on the right hand side.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:38 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Sleep whatever way you can. Obviously sleeping on your stomach is not good, but it is usually too uncomfortable to do anyway. But it's okay to sleep on your right side or back, it's just that the left is the best for circulation. Like the other posters said, use lots of pillows, prop yourself, your belly, your back, your legs, whatever you need to do to get comfortable and get some rest.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:58 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I sleep on my back, left, and ride sides. Sometimes if I sleep on one side for too long, I get a pain so I just switch. Maybe try sleeping with a pillow between your legs. I tried that, but it would make my siatic pain much worse. Sleeping on your left side helps the blood flow and circulation, but that is not the only way you can sleep. I use one pillow and my husband every once in a while.
    oOHayliesMomOo

Answer by oOHayliesMomOo at 9:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Sleeping on your right side won't hurt you or the baby- the reason doctors recommend the left side like PP said has to do with circulation help. I was so uncomfortable sleeping some nights that I would sneak into the livingroom and sleep in my stepfather's leather lay-z-boy. It was a great relief and I always fell asleep right away in the partially reclined position on my back.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:10 PM on May. 30, 2009

• your not allowed to sleep on ur back. Look at babycenter.com and it's like under pregnancy and under like sleep positions or something.
    Anonymous

• It's not really that you're "not allowed", but the farther along you get in your pregnancy and the larger the baby gets it will become more and more uncomfortable because it can affect bloodflow to the lower part of the body. However, sleeping in a semi-reclining position in a chair is not the same as sleeping flat on your back while pregnant. In the first and even second trimester lying on your back is less likely to give a Momma problems, but in late second and third trimester it becomes more uncomfortable and riskier as far as compromising bloodflow.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:34 PM on May. 30, 2009