Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do day cares take in new borns to take care of while the single mom can work? bc i am going to be a single mom with nobodyw o watch my son while i work and i wanted to know if i could just drop him off at day care or something

Answer Question

Asked by arud at 7:42 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • They have to be at least 6 weeks old, you might want to get in contact with some family or friends to watch your baby, if not then find a baby sitter to watch your baby because daycares do not take in newborns that are younger than 6 weeks.

    Answer by VasquezFamily at 7:48 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • 6 weeks old
    doesnt matter if you are a single mom the baby has to be 6 weeks old
    if you go back to work befor ethen try a baby siter i wish you luck

    Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:54 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • Yup I agree with both pp, 6 weeks old at least, and I will also say that daycare for infants is very expensive because they need more one on one time, at leats thats how it is here where I live at

    Answer by hautemama83 at 8:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • Not all daycares except infants and if they do, a lot of times there is a waiting list cause the ratio is so small and they can only take so many. If you have not had your baby yet, get out there and get your name on a waiting list.

    Answer by vickwu at 8:18 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • call around and ask different daycares in your area. not all will take an infant and pricing is different based on age in most cases. places that do take infants will start at about 6 weeks old. also if you can't afford daycare, you can call you local assistance office to find out about daycare assistance. check the blue pages in your local phone book. there is usually a waiting list for it and your child has to be in daycare already to receive it but if you really need it, it's worth the wait.

    Answer by litlsuzzy at 8:53 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • Look in the phone book under child care, call around and ask. Most day cares that do take infants will not accept them younger than 6 weeks old. If I were you,I would try an in-home babysitter. You can look in your local newspaper or ask around. I do babysitting at home and I advertised on craigslist, so maybe you can find someone there.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:24 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • I would try to find a sitter/nanny rather than a daycare.

    I also recommend that you look into going back to school (you can do online school) and I am assuming since you have to work and are a single mom you will qualify as low income which will qualify you for all sorts of loans and grants.

    In my case, not only was I able to get all my school paid for by a Pell grant (one you do not have to pay back). I took out an additional loan that tallied 1k a month. This I do have to pay back, but I was able to stay home so to me that is worth it. Once you are done with school you can defer your payments for a year at a time, which means you don't pay anthing at that time either.

    I got my medical transcription certificate in 9 months, and am actually graduating next week. I only had a GED. If I can do it, anyone can.

    Good luck! And feel free to message me if you would like help finding a reliable school.

    Answer by Arkaidy at 10:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.