My hamburger turned brown, is it okay?

I JUST bought a package of hamburger meat yesterday, but it's turned brown already. If I use it tonight will it be okay?

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 8:18 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• How brown? If the outside is brown, it just means the meat oxidized and the inside is fine. Just scraps off that outside layer as long as the inside is pink. If it's all brown, get rid of it If it has a weird smell, don't use it.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 8:21 PM on May. 30, 2009

• if it doesn't smell bad and still smells like hamburger then it will be fine. the companys that process the meat put in an additive to make the meat look red and fresh.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:23 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Our grocery store has a sign by the ground beef that says that color doesn't indicate freshness. Look at the date on the package, if it is good, and you just bought the meat and it wasn't out of refrigeration more than 2 hours from the time you picked it up in the store until you put it in the refrigerator, if it wasn't hot in the car if it took a while to get it home, if it doesn't smell off, then it should be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 8:32 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with all of the above BUT since there has been a recent ground beef recall, I would really, really consider whether to use it or not. Ground beef is sometimes made with roasts that will be going bad shortly. Yes, the color can indicate oxidation, but ground beef just never seems to last hat long. If it smells funny at all, toss it. Better safe than sick.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 11:49 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have taken ground beef that turned back to the store. Most grocery stores will not argue with you and they gladly will replace it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:19 PM on May. 31, 2009