Would you take on the responsbility of 2 more kids if you already have 2?

My husband's little girl is in foster care (long story) and we are trying to obtain custody of her. The deal is she has a younger sibling who is 1 year old (not my husband's baby) and we don't want them split up, but that is a HUGE financial responsibility. What would you do? Take the daughter or take both!

love_my_boys

Asked by love_my_boys at 8:32 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Adoption

• I would take both if I possibly could. The courts place a very high value on sibling relationships & if you step up & are willing to care for both children, it will really help your case in getting custody of your husband's daughter. Would you try to adopt this child or would her BM or BD provide any support? Is there any family that would step up & help you? I think it would be best to keep them together & it is obvious from your question that both children mean a lot to you--I don't think you could live with yourself if you split them up. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 8:37 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Take both. I suspect you'd fret if you didn't. It would be a generous and kind thing to do.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Both!
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 8:45 PM on May. 30, 2009

• both
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 9:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I would absolutely take both if it's at all possible - even if you have to sell stuff or give up something.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Both.. it'll be very important to both of them later in life. They will really appreciate it, and I'm afraid you'll regret it if you don't.
    rainfalls

Answer by rainfalls at 9:55 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Both.
    luckyshamrock

Answer by luckyshamrock at 10:08 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Both. IMO the added financial responsibility of two, isn't much greater than one. Just think- depending on the ages and genders of the children you always have hand-me-downs to give to the younger ones, little ones don't eat that much...
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:17 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I'd take both in a heartbeat, we are looking to adopt ourselves right now. We also only have one child, so for us, we are looking for a young child or sibling group of 2, the thing for me, going from one child to four would be too much, but for you only adding 2 I don't think it would be that big of a difference, as long as you have plenty bedroom space, go for it!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 11:27 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I would take both. It would mean so much to your DH's daughter to have her sister with her. Raising kids doesn't have to be as expensive as some people make it, if you don't mind using clothes from the thrift store or given to you by a friend.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:02 AM on May. 31, 2009