Does helium harm a 10 month old?

I was at the mall with a friend and my daughter got a balloon, and was chewing on this straw thing that was in the balloon and the balloon was getting smaller, i took it way right away, so she didn't get alot of it and this was at like around lunch time. will she be ok??? like i say she only go a little of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she should be fine :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:17 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My good mommy anwser is to call your doctor just to be sure but in reality my bad mommy anwser is to say we all have done it and have lived. Does she seem okay? Chances are she is going to make her voice sound funny with a balloon at some point in her life so I wouldn't worry about it. I would be more grateful that you found the plastic thingy and she didn't choke
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• She's probably just fine. But a warning when she figures out she can make funny voices when sucking on helium-- helium binds to your red blood cells much easier than oxygen. This means that if you suck in too much helium, and there's too much bound, the person will die of suffocation. No amount of CPR will help when that happens. It's simliar to carbon monoxide poisoning. There have actually been cases where people die when sucking in too much helium. A little bit is okay, but not a whole lot.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:24 PM on May. 30, 2009