• In the Spotlight:

15 hr. Flight with Toddler, What do I bring?

I am planning on taking a straight 15 hr flight overseas within the next couple of months with my 2 yr. old. Just the two of us! Is there anything that you would reccomend I take or do while on the plane with him? Any tips to make the trip easier?

ethans_momma06

Asked by ethans_momma06 at 9:08 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lots of benadryl-- I AM KIDDING. Be sure to let him chew gum for his ears on take off and landing.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:14 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I would have to agree with TeriMelisa, the clogged ears will bug him alot. I have heard chewing gum helps this but he is old enough that if gum is a nono in your household that u could teach him to pop them on his own, by holding his nose and blowing with all his might. And a dose of Benadryl may be a good idea especially if he gets super fussy and antsy. PP said kidding but I am serious, 15 hours is an extremely long time for a toddler to be relegated to such a small space. I would also keep him awake for as long as possible b4 the flight , so he will hopefully sleep for a good bit of it. I wish u luck with this task mom, I would'nt volunteer for it.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 9:55 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Every time that I've flown w/ my two children.I try to book the flight as early as possible.The earlier the better.Hours before their normal wake up time.So they sleep threw it or at least most of it. During lift off I give them a sippy cup,bottle,or if you're still breastfeeding then give that to them at that time.So their ears don't pop and plug up.Then hurt.I always bring games,snakes,water,a comfort thing(like a blanket or stuffed animal),a small pillow,a small blanket,coloring books,reading books,small puzzles,one or two small toys,and lots of imagination.Remeber to check them as carry on and keep them close by on the plane ride.We also play cloud games.Like find the shape or animal.Good luck on your flight and I hope that you find something that works for you and your family.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 12:01 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Try gummy bears for his ears.. that worked for my son and it kept him quiet on the flight =). Oh- but not too many that it'll hurt his/her tummy.
    SinCitiChick

Answer by SinCitiChick at 8:32 PM on May. 31, 2009

• gum, reading books, what about a cd to listen to with earphones, paper, color books,

snacks, what about letting your toddler pack his own backpack full of his/her favorite small things that are allowed on the plane....the op's idea on early flights is a good one.. good luck...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 8:54 PM on May. 31, 2009