How can I better handle my 2 year old sons behavior??

Today I had to bring my son in from outside because it was bath time. He had a fit! I stayed calm and carried him in the house. The next thing I know he slaps me in the face (HARD) while clenching his teeth! I took him to his time out spot and told him "You don't hit". So after his 2 min were up I told him again "You were in t.o. b/c you hit me. You don't hit ok!?" As I picked him up was walking towards the bathroom his points to the t.o. spot and says "again" I told him no and kept walking. So he slaps me again b/c he wants to sit in t.o.!! WTH?!?! And he loves baths. So this had nothing to do with that. Any help out there?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The answer with most kids is transitions....if he is out playing give him a warning that it will soon be bath time...sometimes a hourglass helps....a visual for most kids. then a few minutes before bath time again remind him it is coming and to start putting away toys...you can help by picking up a few he is no longer playing with. Then when bath time comes, ask him to come on his own, if he refuses ask him to make a good choice..."in for bath" not a bad choice "outside playing" . Transitions and choices help children go from one thing to another more smoothly.
    T45

Answer by T45 at 9:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Oh I am so sorry to you, you have described my life 14 years age in exact detail! DS learned from the time I took the advise to leave the store if he threw a nonstop fit to mean if he didn't want to shop throwing a fit was a good idea! I learned that giving him a 5 min. warning before switching activities reduced the fits it didn't stop them but any reduction was a help. As for the hitting to get back in time out be glad it is slapping- my son would bite me every time I made him mad (just giving you that so you have the 'it could be worse' to think of) use creative things instead of just time out think natural consequences when you can. In that situation I would have said "no you are getting in the tub now" but then made bath time a quick in-wash-out without time to play. Take all suggestions into consideration, you never know what might work. Book 'how to talk so your kids will listen' I heard was good after DS was older.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:30 PM on May. 30, 2009