Organic.......

does anyone up here eat only organic foods? ive always wanted to eat only organics. but its expensive. is it better for my skin also?

NewLady1

Asked by NewLady1 at 9:22 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We do. My only regret is not starting sooner.
    Anonymous

• I do when I can. It is expensive. Eggs, for example, I eat organic because from what they say it is kinder to the chickens. Organic milk supposedly comes from cows without the added hormones and antibiotics. I can't always find organic chicken or meats. I get organic vegetables when I can and if they seem fresh.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I only shop at two stores vons and fresh n easy.It is not expensive.Heck I even found organic beans at the 99 cent store.I find organic ground beef,chicken,eggs,yogurt,milk,butter,vegtables.lots of other stuff.
    monica-alvarez

Answer by monica-alvarez at 11:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I buy organic when I can. Its hard to feed a family of 5 (with 2 adults, 2 preteen boys, and a 4 year old with constant growth spurts) on $100 a week if you buy all organics. I prefer to buy milk and certain produce (tomatoes, grapes, peaches, berries, lettuce, apples, celery) organic, and meat with no added hormones or antibiotics even if its not labeled organic. But with milk being $3.50 a half gallon for organic, and we go through half a gallon a day, that's already $25 a week so I can't always afford everything organic.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:15 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I buy when possible. The meats are the only thing that gets real expensive real fast. I found that Wegman's has a lot of organic veggies and fruits around the same price sometimes cheaper than the non-organic. Like carrots, i ONLY buy organic because there is such a big difference.
    kurokitty21

Answer by kurokitty21 at 2:06 AM on May. 31, 2009

• You can eat organic on a budget. Past the age of two, the only beverage that humans need is water; when you eliminate juices, sodas, and milk for drinking, you can save a lot of money. Plant based organic milks cost less than animal based. Here is a great article on plant based calcium: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    The Environmental Working Group publishes a guide to organic produce and maintains a database of bodycare products called Skin Deep: www.ewg.org
    Stop eating meat; use beans, seitan, lentils, tofu, etc. Save even more by using dried beans and lentils instead of canned and by making your own seitan.
    You can save even more by making your own cleaning products.
    Feel free to contact me for recipes, meal ideas, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on May. 31, 2009

• We do all natural/organic here and I'm feeding 3 adults and one teenage boy. I spend on average about $80/week on food. This doesn't include cleaning supplies or laundry detergent, but since I make all of my own, those only add an additional $40 or so per year. One way to save on food is to check out your local farmer's markets & co-ops for organic producers, then make the committment to go at least twice a month to pick up what you need. Also, check around for an organic meat supplier and buy in bulk (big $ initially, but even bigger savings in the long run). Try making at least 1 meal/week a meatless meal, then 2, 3, 4, etc. meals/week meatless and you'll see a huge savings (not to mention tremendous health benefits!). I get 2 dz. organic eggs for about $5, which is about how much you'd pay for a Starbucks coffee, yet ppl complain about the cost of the egss & not the coffee? Think about it and you'll find ways to save.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:09 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I do organics. I have no interest in becoming vegan. I don't think it's healthier. We might not need milk but I think we were made to eat meat. Plus I can't stand tofu, lentils, or beans. I agree that you might need to cut corners somewhere else but it's so worth it. For our health and the environment.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:28 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Oh if you have a local farmers market shop there. Usually the prices are reasonable and many are organic, plus eating local produce is very good for you and you are helping out your community.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:15 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We do a couple of meals a week that are meatless. No one misses the meat and everyone feels better.....shhh don't tell my son. LOL

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:17 PM on May. 31, 2009