will he more than likely be a preemie?

i am only 27-28 weeks and last night at L&D i learned im slightly open and 30% effaced, i never did any of this with my other two kids.i was reading around and read that for a multi gravida mother shouldnt be having effacement till right before or already in labor where as a first time mother can go on for weeks effacing.im still having lots of contractions and pressure...actually my presure gets worse if i try to lay down anyone doing that?? , i go see my ob tuesday morning but will probably go in on monday instead, idk im hella worried because i have had such nightmares about a stillborn, or a preemie or my water breaking while i was sleeping since i first found out i was pregnant, its been problem after problem too..do u think it might be he will make his appearance maybe a little too soon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not sure, my best friend started going into labor I believe around that time but they gave her shots to stop it. She was also 3cm for at least her last month... and she ended up having her girl only one week before her due date. Nice thing about it being 2009, they can do a lot for you (to keep you pregnant) and for your baby if it was to be born early. One thing I know for sure is stress isn't good so try to relax. I know, easier said than done... but try. Good luck.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 9:30 PM on May. 30, 2009

• no one can say for sure. I would just take it easy, but why are they checking you vaginally so early? Was there a problem or something that caused them to check? Also, every pregnancy is different. btw I was effaced weeks before I went into labor with my second child.
    and how are you laying down? on your side, your back? The best way to lay is on your left side I believe... or is it your right? Don't lay on your back if you can help it.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:31 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i was 59 % effaced and 1 cm dilated at 29 weeks and my little girl was born at 39 weeks
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:31 PM on May. 30, 2009

• oh yes, I have a friend who went into preterm labor, had a shot and she is still pregnant..... past due too!!!
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:32 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My daughter was born at 32 weeks but had stopped growing at 28 weeks, she was 2 pounds and 13.6 ounces. My daughter was born for medical reasons. They should be able to stop your labor , at least a few weeks if not longer. So don't worry that will make it worse. My daughter is a perfectly fine 5 year old now, shes just small.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:35 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I know this is a very difficult time and what I'm about to say might be hard to do but...TRY TO RELAX dont stress it will only make matters worse. I went into preterm labor at 20 wks and gave birth @21 wks the nurses and doctors tried to get me to alteast 24 wks but things didnt turn out that way she died as soon as the umbilicial cord was cut because her lungs werent mature enought to work on their own. I was told that once I reached 24 wks they would give me steroid to help mature the babies lungs. I think your doctor will probably bring this up at your appt Monday if she doesnt you bring it up. With they symptoms you described above I would go to the emergency room as soon as possible. I hope all goes well with your little one.

Wishing for the best
    Suzzanna
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 9:35 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I would go to the ER and be checked just for piece of mind. That way if you are trying to go into labor they can stop it. Better to err on the side of caution was my (and my OB's) way of looking at it
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 9:56 PM on May. 30, 2009

• whatever you read is not true!! your cervix never fully thickens out after having a baby so you are effaced the entire time you are pregnant with each additional pregnancy! Dont listen to that piece of info because it is WAY WRONG!! But to answer your actual question... I went in to pre-term labor at 31 weeks with my second and was 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated at that point. My doctors kept telling me there was no way I would make it to 36 weeks (at which point the baby is no longer a preemie) and I made it to my induction at 38 1/2 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:00 PM on May. 30, 2009

• and to ease your mind, a 28 weeker would make it unless there was another complication. Medical technology is GREAT! But I still cant believe you read something that said you shouldnt efface til you are nearing labor! That is the more crazy bit of labor info I have ever heard
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

• eat well stay hydrated with water and good quality juice bed rest as much as possible... once you break 30 weeks you're good.... if it was a girl I"d tell you 28 weeks and youre good...
    if your water breaks go to the hospital and ask for steroids to make the baby's surfactant form ASAP
    it might be TMI but drop me a note if you dont understand
    also dont have sex it helps thinning of the cervix
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:09 PM on May. 30, 2009