Has anyone else had a biopsy of their cervix taken while preggo? (might be TMI)

I am 17 weeks pregnant and on Thursday the dr. took a biopsy of my cervix. Since then I have had mild cramping (which he said it was normal) but I have also had a very weird discharge. I dont know how to explain it very well it looks kinda like what my mucas plug looked like with my first pregnancy but drier. I am not sure if this is normal. My dr. said that the stuff he used to stop the bleeding would pass over the next few days but that it would look like coffee grains... this looks nothing like that... I called the ER and they said it was prolly normal and that if it hasnt stopped by Monday then to call the dr. I am really worried.

hnfields

Asked by hnfields at 9:48 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never heard of a doctor taking a biopsy during pregnancy. That is weird to me because any trama to the cervix can cause cramping which can possibly lead to contractions! Are you sure it wasnt just a culture... like when you have a pap?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 9:51 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have had a biospy but was not preggo at the time. I did not get the grainy brown discharge either. Mine was not what they explained. Try to stay calm.
    ChristianNurse

Answer by ChristianNurse at 9:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I am sure it was a biopsy. I had a bad pap come back and he said that I had cells on the left side of my cervix that really concerned him and he took a biopsy. I thought it was odd too but he is the doc... Now I am scared to death. And on top of everything else they had trouble finding the babys heart beat with the doppler so he had to do an ultrasound. I am stressing really bad.
    hnfields

Answer by hnfields at 9:55 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Ask for a second opinion. My doctor said he would not do a biospy while I was preggo. There is not much they can do treatment wise anyways if there is a problem. I am not trying to scare you. I just think you might want to get a second opinion.
    ChristianNurse

Answer by ChristianNurse at 9:59 PM on May. 30, 2009

• ChristianNurse... she already had a biopsy so a second opinion about getting one is pointless:(
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 10:05 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I am talking about a second opinion with a doctor in general. If this doctor will biospy, he may end up wanting to treat while she is preggo if something ends up being wrong.
    ChristianNurse

Answer by ChristianNurse at 10:09 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I had a polyp removed during my pregnancy, I had cramping and bloody discharge. I know the doctor did use some sort of thing to stop the bleeding and it can leak out. I had the procedure on a Thursday and I was told those things were normal unless they lasted past Monday. I hope it helps and everything goes well for you.
    lilkgfan

Answer by lilkgfan at 10:25 PM on May. 30, 2009