Any advice for removing cat urine smell?

My cat has gone on my family room rug. No matter how many times I spray it with cleaner, I can still smell it. Any good remedies out there for treating cat stains and odor?

ARmom

Asked by ARmom at 10:08 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Pets

• I used vinegar and baking soda. My cat peed on the bed upstairs.I tried to absorb most of the urine in a paper towel, then I saturated the heck out of the area of the mattress he peed on with the vinegar and then sprinkled on the baking soda. I let it "sizzle" a bit and then scrubbed like crazy to get the smell out. It took a few wipes with an old rag and a little water, but it worked. Cleaned the sheets and smell was gone.

Hope this helps. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:11 PM on May. 30, 2009

• At the pet store they sell Natures Miracle. It is the ONLY thing I used that got the smell out when my cat started to spray!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 10:25 PM on May. 30, 2009

• There is an online product I think it is called mir something....not sure what...but you actually inject it into the carpet and the lady who writes the cheapskate newsletter recommends it and she doesn't recommend much.
    T45

Answer by T45 at 10:40 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I also say baking soda... I have never used it on a rug, but it will take the smell out of clothes really really well!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 11:07 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Your local pet store should have some type of enzyme cleaner. What is probably more important is making sure whatever cleaner you use gets all the way through the carpet and into the padding below, since the urine probably did as well.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 2:07 AM on May. 31, 2009