Pregnancy & Hot Baths

I've heard lots of different opinions on this and was wondering what you Mama's think. Is it ok to sit in a hot bath for about 10 minutes or does it really affect the baby? Sometimes a quick hot bath is what I need for my restless legs! Thoughts?

TylersMama05

Asked by TylersMama05 at 10:10 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's fine as long as you don't stay in there too long & over heat the baby
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I have always taken hot baths, before, during and after pregnancy. I would usually fill up the tub and then turn on some cold water and let it trickle over my feet. When I was pregnant and I took hot baths, I noticed my belly would move up higher as though saying "Whoa! Too hot!" and I would mix a little bit of cold water. I adjusted my bath depending on my belly's reaction. But for the most part I've always taken hot baths. As PP also said, I'm sure it also has to do with how long you're in there for. My baths were usually 10-15 minutes and then done.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 10:15 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My Dr told me it is fine as long as the temp is not over 100 degrees. I just got a bath thermometer and don't fill the tub any hotter than that.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 10:47 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i've wondered the same thing lately! there may be away around this. for myself, sitting in the tub while the shower is running provides the same heat as the bath but doesn't completely submerge my body in it. only problem i see here is wasting too much water. depending on how long you are in (which it is very easy to lose track)! it seems i get the same relaxation effect as taking a hot bath. also, i sometimes add home made bath salts (sea salt, baking soda, and a few drops of my favorite non-toxic essential oil) to the tub and let it fill up only a few inches, but again let the shower run so it becomes a form of aroma therapy. my skin is super soft afterward and it's truly inexpensive! good luck! ;-)
    huewithme

Answer by huewithme at 1:28 AM on May. 31, 2009