If you are no longer the religion of your parents

How do you feel about the religion you were raised in? Do you see it positively, with fond memories - something that was part of your path to where you are now? Do you see it negatively, as something you wish hadn't been in your life at all? Little of both? Neither?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 10:14 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have to say both. I am pagan, I feel that I was born to be a witch. Even as a 5 and 6 year old I told people I was one, and always I dentified as a witch. I was raised to be Jehovah's Witness. I hated it! I didn't agree with any of it, ever! My mother and I still fight over it and for years we didn't speak at all. I feel that it was one of the main reasons I was so unhappy as a child. However, I love the knowledge that came from it. The "truth" that I found through the JW studies has been a great thing. I find that I know the bible better than most Christians do. I love religion, all kinds. And have a great thirst to learn about them all! I don't think I would have that had I not been raised to question "outside" religions... But I guess that backfired when I ended up questioning their religion!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I see it in a negative way. I do wish it never happend, but Im also glad it did, cuz then I would not have rebeld against my mother and her strict crazy religious nonsense and met my husband. He was far from my mothers religious standards! it drove her crazy.lol.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:17 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My faith is huge!! That was the biggest bift from my parents!! At the same time, I was a rebellious teenager, then left home ASAP!! I have many issues with my folks but my faith is sturdy/strong.. and I intend to pay-it-forward to my kids. I think its a shame when people blame God for their parents mistakes. They made mistakes.. still do.. but my faith is separate from that.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 10:18 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I wasn't raised in a religion.  I was raised by two people who were spiritual and have a severe distaste for organized religion and churches.  They are very open-minded and always taught tolerance and acceptance.  I greatly appreciate everything I have learned from them.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:19 PM on May. 30, 2009

• It was neither negative, nor positive. I always felt "different" from all the other church goers. I didn't feel "God's presence" or "love". I didn't get it... and it showed. So, I stopped going, found my own religion and I'm happy now. I respect Christianity, it just wasn't for me. To each his own. (Baptist --> Pagan)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:20 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Scout575, are you saying you are or are not the same faith that you were raised in? I also don't know what you mean about people blaming God for their parents' mistakes. Thanks for replying, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:23 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My mother followed (or let's say she did it for her children's sake) the Lutheran religion. We did not attend church all the time and it wasn't an open discussion in the home at all... but I did take my communion classes at 14 thru the Lutheran religion.
    There was nothing negative about it, I had more questions than most students and was always told that "that is the way it is" for an answer. My mothers actual religion is an Athiest Kitchen Witch but chose to raise her children in a christian religion to allow us to make our own choices.
    Thou it took many yrs to finally find my true path, I appreciate the way my mother did it.
    I am a Wiccan Witch now and my dh is Lutheran and our gs is being taught a bit of both ... and is being allowed to chose his own path when the time comes...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:36 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My mother thought she was following catholic but now i'm a different religion and tell her things from the bible she says I never heard that, the catholic church dont share alot and go by doctrine instead of the truth.For someone who is a believer she dont know anything, and that puzzles me.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:41 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Oh, I should have added this to my question, even if you disagree with the faith of your parents, please be respectful of that faith in general. Thanks!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:45 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My parents are pagans. I feel it was necessary that I was raised in that environment for me to appreciate and love God as I do today. Do I feel positive or negative? I'm just grateful to be alive! God bless.

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 10:47 PM on May. 30, 2009