Signs

What are the signs that your baby is ready for solid foods!?!?

Amanduh87

Asked by Amanduh87 at 10:28 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sits unsupported, can hold head steady without support, first tooth has emerged, and tongue thrust reflex is gone entirely - and of course, interested in food!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 10:31 PM on May. 30, 2009

• can hold head up, can sit with little to no support, tongue reflex is gone, shows an interest in what you're eating. 6 m/o is usually a good age to start slowly because the digestive system in most babies is more developed by that age and can handle some solid foods
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:35 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I second what others have said, but I don't think teeth have anything to do with it. Some kiddo's don't get teeth for a long time!

Def. wait until AT LEAST 6 months before introducing any solids. After that, look for those other cues posted, and for interest in food.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:52 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I agree with most of what the others have said except for the teeth, they don't need teeth to begin with. And You don't have to wait untill six months. My daughters Pedi incouraged me to start her on spoon fed cereal at 4 1/2 months. Check with your Pedi to be sure.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:00 PM on May. 30, 2009

• this isn't really an asnwer to your question, but my daughter is 9 weeks old, teething, and shows interest in what i'm eating, but my doctors have told me to wait till she's about 6 mo to introduce solids
    AznQueensGrl

Answer by AznQueensGrl at 12:21 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Honestly, doctors don't know much about nutrition. Start solids at six months. Remember that solids before baby turns one are for the experience of eating, not nutrition. Many nutritionists recommend skipping rice cereal and using avocado (mashed with breastmilk or formula) as baby's first solid.
    www.superbabyfood.com is wonderful

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on May. 31, 2009