Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College question... didn't know what category to put this in...

I have no idea how to start this whole school thing... it's been a couple of years since I graduated high school and I am now wanting to try to get an Associates degree. I submitted a FASFA thing online, but haven't applied to any colleges. Was I supposed to do that first? Or at the same time? I don't know what I am doing... :(

Also, it says my EFC is 2194... I know that is Estimated Family Income. But is that a good number or bad number? Does it mean I will get any financial help?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (4)
  • I would go to the college and apply. There will be someone there who can help you with financial aid...pell grants, etc. That financial stuff is too confusing for us common folk :). You will most likely benefit from 'cost of living' funds as well--without them, I could have NEVER done the school thing. You will get the financial help, no worries there.
    Good luck in school,
    all the best.

    Answer by haysmum at 11:02 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • You need to apply to some schools to determine what sort of financial assistance you are eligible for since the costs depends on what school you are going to, how many hours you take, etc.

    Financial aid varies from school to school so just knowing your EFC doesn't mean anything without knowing where you are wanting to go to school.

    Your best bet is to visit a few schools in your area and talk to someone in Admissions. They can help get you to talk to the appropriate people in Financial Aid as well.

    Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 11:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

  • If all you want is an associate's degree, I recommend community college. The tuition is much cheaper. You can even start at a communtiy college and transfer to a university later if you want to get a bachelor's.

    And the people in the financial aid office are your new best friends. They can help you to file for everything you are eligible for and to make sure you have everything taken care of.

    Answer by casperskitty at 12:28 AM on May. 31, 2009

  • The EFC is the amount of money that you would be expected to contribute to your college expenses for you would have to contribute $2,194.00. You should have applied to colleges before financial aid, some school use the FAFSA to offer their own scholarships to students. The aid is based on the tuition at the college and how much money you made the year before and how much you have is assets (savings, checking, stocks, bonds, etc), it also depends on how many dependents you have.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:37 AM on May. 31, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Just for Fun
who the he...

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
10 days late