Should I cut down to 1 nap for my 18 month old.

My 18 month old goes to bed at 7:00 and wakes up at around 6:30 (still so tired). Up until recently he was sleeping until 7:30-8:00. Now that he is waking up earlier he is exhausted by 9:00 so I need to give him a nap. He usually sleeps till about 10:30. But then he naps again at around 2:00-3:30/4:00 because he just can not stay up. Do you think I should try pushing his nap time back so he only gets one nap. Do think that will help him not wake up in the morning so extremely tired?? And maybe he will go back to sleeping later in the morning??

shay52085

Asked by shay52085 at 10:41 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a tough one for me, I have always heard that the child will decide when they are ready to switch to one nap, but usually it's before 18 months...Hmm, You might try to keep him up a little longer at night so he will sleep a little later in the morning and see if that helps.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 10:56 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My son only took one nap at that age.My daughter only takes one nap as well.She takes a nap at around tenish in the morning and wakes up at around one in the afternoon.She also wakes up at around seven or seven thirty in the morning and goes to bed at nine at night.I think that as long as your child goes to sleep at a reasonable hour for you and gets a full nights sleep.Then he's fine w/ taking so many naps.If you wanted to try and move his naps down to one nap a day.Then try a morning nap at around ten and let him sleep for a few hours.Two or three hours and see if he would stay awake for the rest of the day.Sometimes one long nap can help and sometimes it can backfire in your face.Make them stay up all night.So i would do whatever makes you and your child happy and healthy.It's all triale and aerier.That's how I learned w/ the naps.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 10:58 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Well i think its a good idea. I know my son did the same thing up until he was one. Then i put him in a daycare...and he only got one nap. They lay that age down at around noon or 1:00 and they usually take a 2 hour nap. But whatever your baby needs.....they know when they are tired. But you can get them in a routine if youd rather them only taking one nap.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:00 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My daughter is 14 mos. and only takes 1 nap in the early afternoon. She goes to bed between 8 & 9pm and sleeps til about 9am. Usually like clockwork, 3 hrs after she's been up she needs a nap and will sleep for 2 hours. To me, 7pm is extremely early for a bedtime. I'd move it back at least an hour and see if he'll sleep in longer and then wait 3-4 hours after that to give him just 1 nap during the day. See if he adjusts to that and whether he's more rested after a day or two. If not he may still need 2 naps a day... all kids are different.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 1:00 AM on May. 31, 2009