Having sex everyday & squatting everyday for short periods in the last weeks of pregnancy to reduce chances of going over due...Anyone heard of this?

I went to the OB with my friend, who is due just a few days before me, on Friday.

Her doctor told us that he recommends and has sucessfully reduced his induction rates by suggesting that women both have intercourse with their husbands daily in the last few weeks and squat for short periods of time each day!

He said that having intercourse will help to soften and ripen the cervix reducing the chances of going over.

He said that squatting is good for a couple reasons. First it helps the cervix to dialate and efface. Second it helps women to stregthen their legs so that they don't tire so easily when squatting to push during labor.

He said he has reduced numbers of inductions needing for high BP, big babies & going over due because women tend to go on their own, earlier.

I knew sex was suggested to induce labor but I've never heard of it put this way or being done to reduce the chances of induction. HAVE YOU?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you are not over due til you're 2 wks past your due date. just like you're not premature unless you're 3 wks before your due date. the best way to avoid induction is tell the dr you will not be induced unless medically necessary -which is rare. labor starts when it does. sex and squats may help. but not more than your body wants. there's no need to rush.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:28 PM on May. 30, 2009

• Squatting wouldn't help. You can squat your whole pregnancy and go over-due.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 11:41 PM on May. 30, 2009

• i had sex just about everyday during the last few weeks of my pregnancy b.c i was tired of being pregnant... that didn't help dilate me at all...
    AznQueensGrl

Answer by AznQueensGrl at 12:14 AM on May. 31, 2009

• There's something in the semen that sort of relaxes your cervix. It doesn't really induce you, it just makes it easier for your cervix to dilate easier when your body is ready to do that!
    I've never heard of the squats though. I personally would not be induced unless there was something VERY wrong or if i was well over-due (at least 2 weeks over). The pain from an induced labor is MUCH worse than the pain of a labor that happens on its own. Pretty much because it's forcing your body to do something that it doesn't want to do. But that's just my opinion. You do what suits you best. Good luck. :)
    kurokitty21

Answer by kurokitty21 at 3:32 AM on May. 31, 2009