Is it strange that my almost 11 month old still is not holding her own bottle?

I do not mind holding it for her at all, in fact, I enjoy the cuddle time. I am just concerned that she should be holding it by now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's normal and not a developmental delay or manipulating you. Kudos to you for actually feeding her and making feedings bonding instead of making her do it herself. Holding a bottle doesn't make a baby independent. Not holding one doesn't make her spoiled. The parent who won't hold the bottle is just lazy.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:43 PM on May. 30, 2009

• yes she should be holding it by now. my dd started holding her bottle when she was 5 mons.
    tuty2403

Answer by tuty2403 at 11:11 PM on May. 30, 2009

• yes, she should be able to hold it. talk to her doctor
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:12 PM on May. 30, 2009

• It has nothing to do with developmental delay. She sees that mommy is holding it for her so why should she. She is actually very smart because she is knowing full well what she is doing and outsmarting you. My daughter used to do the same thing and my momma used to say "Jamila, while you're feeding her let Destiny hold her own bottle and if she doesn't than tell her you are NOT going to hold it for her" or you can make a little gesture to her indicating that she is the one that is going to have to hold her own bottle if she wants what is in it.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:16 PM on May. 30, 2009

• So do I just basically go on strike? How do I go about it? For every bottle, we snuggle while I feed her. Sometimes she will try to hold the bottle, but she doesn't tilt it or sometimes she actually tries holding the end and pulls it down (we use Playtex Drop Ins). Most of the time though, she just lays there and lets me hold it completely.
    Anonymous

• yea mine was holding his at 5 months old. I think its more of a control issue....if mommy will hold it for her then why not? I think its just early stages of her seeing what she can get away with. ITs not a bad thing though. She will need to become independent at some point though.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 11:22 PM on May. 30, 2009

• She's playing you ma. While you are feeding her just take her hand and place it on one side of the bottle and the other side lay it against your chest. Or just keep training both of her hands to hold the bottle. Get the donot bottles that should help. You have spoiled that baby rotten.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:29 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I meant doughnut.
    diamondmamma

Good point.

Let that baby hold that bottle.... ; }
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:51 PM on May. 30, 2009

• I am sorry but how is feeding your baby spoiling them and letting them "play you".

Your a mother, you feed your baby, geez! Enjoy the cuddles because soon she won't want anything to do with you, she'll be too busy doing her own thing!

You can encourage her to hold her own bottle, but for God's sake forcing them to?
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:03 AM on May. 31, 2009