Does this really help?

My son has pneumonia for the second time this month. The doctors have put him on augmenten antibiotics and albuterol. The dr. said that the meds would cause diaharrea and possibly throwing up. Thank goodness he isn't throwing up but he has the diaharrea so bad. I have heard from diff ones that I should give him some yogurt to help with the diaherrea. Does this really help and should I just get plain if it does?

Also one more question...because this is the 2nd time for him having pnuemonia what can I clean my house with to kill any potential mold?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:47 PM on May. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes, yogurt replaces the good bacteria in the stomach to help with the diarrhea.
    However your son is too young for yogurt. If he has started on rice cereal you could try Happy Bellies rice... it has probiotics in it (same as with the yogurt)
    If he hasn't ask the doctor about a powder you can add to his bottle or sprinke on your nipple if he is breastfed (Culturelle)

It's not likely he is getting pnemonia from any mold (that type of pneumonia is very serious)
    He's most likely just getting it from the average cold and it just develops into pneumonia. Also make sure if he is bottle fed that you aren't bottle proping at all... which can lead to aspiration (inhaling formula) pneumonia
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:08 AM on May. 31, 2009

• First off, I'm sorry your DS is sick! Hugs to getting better soon. :-)

The yogurt is good for replenishing the good bacteria in his intestine. It will keep him from having problems with his digestion. If he doesn't like the yogurt, go to the health food store and get him some Acidophilus....get it in a dark bottle in liquid form...in the refrigerated section. Add it to his juice. It will help like the yogurt would.

As for the mold, try a product called Moldex. Many contractors use this to kill mold. You can ask for it at Lowe's or Home Depot. If you don't have one of those stores near you, try Homedepot.com and search for Moldex.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:15 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't know how old you son is, but you could ask the dr about the yogurt. And for the mold, the first mom was right, its not mold, its probably the common cold causing it. Keep everyone away who dosnt need to be near him, especially if they have been sick, are sick, or have been around anyone sick, and limit his time away from home. Clean all his toys often with a disinfectant...wash all stuffed toys in the washer. And wash hands extra often! Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:40 AM on May. 31, 2009