How do I get my daughter to take a bottle?

I'm breastfeeding my daughter who will be 9 weeks old on Tuesday and she is already starting to teethe, she's bitten me a few times already and I want her to take a bottle but, she refuses to take one. Any advice?

AznQueensGrl

Asked by AznQueensGrl at 12:00 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried feeding her the bottle while your shirt is off...but bra on so she doesnt try to get the nipple? Maybe she needs the warmth of your skin like shes used to. I dont know, worth the try!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 12:07 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Are you looking to give a bottle when you're not around? That's simple. Hand baby to caregiver, LEAVE. She's not likely to take one when you're right there.

If BITING is the problem, three strikes. First bite, unlatch, tell her no, relatch. Second bite, repeat. Third bite...put her down for a minute or two...then try again.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help. Biting can be corrected.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:07 AM on May. 31, 2009

• My best advice would be to have someone else like daddy or grandma give her a bottle when you are not home. They do say that it is easier for the baby to take a bottle when they know the original bottle is not there. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:22 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Instead of quitting nursing why not stop the biting? My kids were a little older when this started, but I immediately pulled them INTO my breast so they couldn't breathe and yelp in terrible pain and as soon as they let go I would take them and sit them down for a few mintues. With my first I did this once and he bit no more and my second it took 2 tries before she quit. By pulling them into you they associate something bad happening to them and don't like that. it might take a few more tries with one this young though. As for getting her to take a bottle so you can leave occasionally most babes will not take a bottle from mom. My kids wouldn't even take it if they knew I was in the house somewhere. My son also wouldn't take one at all and my DH used a cup and spoon to feed him expressed breast milk the few times I wanted to leave and at 4 months old the doc said to try a sippy cup with a care provider holding it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:14 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Mom, this is your first discipline issue. When she bites, you pull her off and say NO! very firmly, then let her get back to eating. She will get the message.
    I would not advise using your breast to smother a child; this sends a really scary message.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I just taught mine not to bite.
    I don't know if I'd call it discipline, they are infants... just compromise. ;)
    Johns_Gal

Answer by Johns_Gal at 8:49 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Have you ever given her a binki if so I recomend nuk bottles they are what I used with my son if I had a baby sitter. He took to them no problem at a month old.
    Jordansmommy09

Answer by Jordansmommy09 at 9:33 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Due to the fact I could no longer nurse for medical reasons, My daughter had to take a bootle and She refused. Dr's Advice was Keep trying eventually she will be hungry enough she will want to take the bottle after 3 days she took it with out a fuss.

But if you are still wanting to Nurse, I agree with other moms said and teach her not to bite.
    ediedawn

Answer by ediedawn at 9:56 AM on May. 31, 2009

• have her daddy or someone else give her a bottle, she will be more willing to take it from them
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:19 AM on May. 31, 2009