starting solid foods

i tried starting my 6 1/2 mo. old on solids. i tryed a month ago and her dr. told me to stop because she was "under weight." now she says it's ok and i can't get my daughter to eat anything. i even tried applesauce and she wouldn't have anything to do with it. does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to start eating again? i know it doesn't really matter and that breast milk is fine for the first year but i would like to try her on solids if i can even get her to.

Kitty0907

Asked by Kitty0907 at 1:05 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried any other foods? My son isn't a big fan of fruits except for avocado. You might try making some of your own foods and mixing them with breast milk. That's my son's preferred way of eating sweet potatoes.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 1:11 AM on May. 31, 2009

• when i tried them on her b4 her dr. told me to stop she liked sweet potatoes, pears, bananas, pears, and the oatmeal/rice. now she won't eat any of it. idk.
    Kitty0907

Answer by Kitty0907 at 2:06 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Try giving her the foods before her milk so that shes a little more hungry. Just be sure not to fill her so much she dosnt finish her milk...she needs that more now than the food. Other than that I would say keep trying and dont get discouraged. Keep it light and fun for her and if dosnt want to eat dont pressure her. Just try again tomorrow. :) Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:09 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Have you tried rice cereal made with breast milk? Good luck Mama :)

Sarahedger

Answer by Sarahedger at 2:12 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't sweat it at all. Makign a big deal of it will only make it harder on you. Offer, and if she doesn't take it, then try again later.

ALL babies learn how to eat. No need to make a production of the process. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on May. 31, 2009

• What I don't understand is if the doctor said she was under weight then why would she have you stop solids? Just keep trying different foods.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:40 AM on May. 31, 2009

• While nutrition the first year of a baby's life should come from breastmilk (or fomula), it is important for babies to experience solids: mashed avocado mixed with breastmilk, baked sweet potato, puffed brown rice cereal, oatmeal, etc.
    Look here for more info: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 AM on May. 31, 2009