Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do drs normally prescribe a 9yr old with add that is in the form of a capsule?


Asked by jennjenn77705 at 1:44 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Try this pill identifier. It might be able to tell you

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:55 PM on May. 31, 2009

  • Nothing. I look into all other alternatives before deciding to go with drugs.
    Physical therapy, counseling, change it diet, change in daily habits, ect ect.
    That's JMHO of course.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 1:45 AM on May. 31, 2009

  • This is my stepson and this is totally his moms decision I am just trying to find out what he is taking

    Answer by jennjenn77705 at 1:48 AM on May. 31, 2009

  • ritilin is one, alderal is another.

    Answer by teamquinn at 1:52 AM on May. 31, 2009

  • Sorry to hear you are going through that jen. I know what it's like to be a stepmom

    Answer by outstandingLove at 2:31 AM on May. 31, 2009

  • There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: Definitely explore the relationship between foods and behavior, either from the Feingold Organization ( or another source.
    Fish oil supplements can make a huge improvement in attentionspan; use a good brand like Nordic naturals; it can take a couple of months for them to become effective.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 AM on May. 31, 2009

  • Can't you simply ask the mother what it is? When he's with your and your husband for visitation isn't the medication in a bottle so you could read the label?

    If nothing else, the father should know what it is! He needs to find out. He should be able to call the doctor. WHat happens if something happens while he's with the father and has to go to the ER? Dad needs to be able to tell the doctors what medication he's on!!!

    If she won't tell the dad, then he needs to get a court order to find out.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:18 AM on May. 31, 2009