Why would you pick waldorf?

Your kid isnt taught to read until 3rd grade? Its all about imgaination? I know kids have to be kids,but that is the parents job & school is not the place to play pretend all day?

QueenOfNagsHead

Asked by QueenOfNagsHead at 2:57 AM on May. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am confused about your question. could you explain a little better
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I dont think I am understanding the question either.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:18 AM on May. 31, 2009

• There are several different methods and styles to teaching and they ALL seem to work, whether or not you agree with them. It's not a one-size-fits-all method. Maybe you can do some more research online before passing judgement.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:00 AM on May. 31, 2009

• my kids started learning to read in kindergarten.....what is waldorf because when i read the title i thought you were talking about the pink salad lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 31, 2009

• There are many benefits to a Waldorf education, however, nothing is the right fit for everyone. Learning to read too early can and often does cause reading problems. When reading is a struggle, it creates a child who dislikes reading for the rest of their lives, and that is tragic. With that said, I think third grade is much too late to learn to read. I have yet to find anything style of education I truly love and agree with. My son is two and I have no idea what I'm going to do about his education.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 1:12 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Waldorf has some wonderful practices and there is not a thing wrong with a kid not learning to read until 7 or 8. I am very impressed by many of their ideas and concepts, and even considered becoming a teacher in their schools, but was put off by the weird new-agey brand of christianity (I'm an atheist) and their zealotry in NOT wanting children to read until 7. I won't take books away from my kids if they are early readers, or refuse to teach them when they express an interest.
    oh, and they do have some strange concepts of science and of race that I wouldn't want my kids exposed to. And I've read reports of families being drummed out of Waldorf schools for letting kids watch TV. I'm just NOT that much of a purist.

why would it be a problem for them to not read until 7 or 8 if they are competent and well educated at the time they finish school?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:23 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Sorry but Kids learn through play...
    Many of the kids that go to waldorf schools LOVE to learn all the way up into highschool and Beyond...You can hardly say that about most traditionally schooled children...

babonwy

Answer by babonwy at 7:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• does anyone live mainstream while in waldorf? will my child be frowned upon if she joins girl scouts and watches tv?
    jsumner

Answer by jsumner at 11:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2010