• In the Spotlight:

How can I stop nursing a 20 month old !?! she is so addicted! I need advice im so tired

I planned on nursing for a year but slowly but surely time passed and i'm still here feeding this 20 month old toddler. It's emberrasing because she is so strong minded and she wants mommys comfort when ever she wants it! I have decided to stop but it is so hard and I don't even know where to start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The World Healthy Organization (unlike American doctors, they are uninfluenced by the dairy, formula and porn industries) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.
    Take her to the store, and let her pick up a sippy cup (stainless steel is best) for her water (past the age of 2, this is the only beverage that humans need). Make sure that she is getting lots of hugs and snuggles, and a good variety of healthy foods. www.healthybabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on May. 31, 2009

• http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1460015/Natural_Age_of_Weaning

If you really want to stop that is fine, but just so you have all the info out there. I am very glad to hear you made it as long as you did. Now on how to stop. Just drop one feeding a day and start with those she isn't as attached too (like not the ones right before bed or nap). Once she stops fussing for that feeding then drop another one. yes this process may take awhile, but it is the leas traumatic way to do it. you might also think about teaching her nursing manners. My 23 month old still nurses and she knows that she cannot have them whenever and where ever she wants them. We have limits and we also have proper ways for her to ask to nurse.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:19 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I agree with the other two women. My DD has nursing manners. We do not nurse in public unless there have been extenuating circumstances. Like our plane trip and we were stuck in the busy crowded air port for HOURS AND HOURS! At 6 months old she started pulling at my shirt to get to them and I just taught her that was inappropriate.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:23 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I let my son ween himself at  2 1/2 years old.If it's really getting to you then don't let her have it all the time.Even if she wants it or throws a fit if you say no to her.I don't know how many times she gets breast milk in a day,but you could only let her have it two or three times a day.You could also try and transition her to only get it at nap time or bed.If you tapper her off slowly over a few months then it might not be so traumatic on you both.Another thing that you could do is give her a tippy cup of something when she asks for your milk.Eventually she wont want it anymore.Whatever you decide to do hold strong and don't cave.Other wise she'll think that she can still have it no matter what you say or do.Good luck!

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 4:31 PM on May. 31, 2009