WHEN IS TOO SOON???

WHEN IS IT TIME TO POTTY TRAIN UR CHILD??? MY CHILD IS A YR OLD! DO I START NOW OR WAIT UNTIL HE IS 1 1/2???
WHEN DO I START HIM ON SOLID FOODS AND TAKE HIM OFF THE BOTTLE COMPLETELY??? IS IT TOO SOON TO START NOW? MY MOTHER TOLD ME TO START ALREADY BUT I JUST DONT FEEL LIKE ITS TIME!!!
HOW DO I MAKE MY SON EAT MORE AND WANT HIS BOTTLE LESS???

KaydensMother

Asked by KaydensMother at 3:09 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you don't feel like it's time, then it's not! they say not to start potty training until 18 months or until your child shows signs of wanting to potty train. Boys (THEY SAY) take longer. Have you been giving him baby foods? I can't exactly remember but I think you slowly adjust his formula to milk (or I did formula anyways) but take an ounce of what you put in his bottle away and put milk in. And slowly add an ounce of milk every 2-3 days. Soon the bottle will be milk. once again.. idk if you're breastfeeding and i have no idea how breastfeeding works. Give him those baby cereals and you can add fruits to it.. cheerios if he's been on more chunkier baby foods (becuase they have the hole in the middle) and I used gerber puffs a lot.
    Let me know if you have any q's or if I didn't answer something you want to know. I did not breast feed and if it's a breast feeding q I can't help you.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:23 AM on May. 31, 2009

• We started solids like cereals and pureed vegetables at 4 months. It is recommended you wait until 6 months. At about 7-8 months, we were doing finger foods. But one year, she was completely off baby food and the bottle except at night. Have you introduced a sippy cup? That may help with the bottle. There is no right age to start potty training. I would wait until he was a little older. Most people tend to start a bit after two from what I have seen. The biggest trigger of when to start, is when your son seems interested. Good luck.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:17 AM on May. 31, 2009

• WELL WE HAVE TRIED THE SIPPY CUPS BUT HE DOESNT WANT THEM!

DO U HAVE ANY ADVICE AS TO THE FOODS THAT I SHOULD GIVE HIM THAT MIGHT HELP HIM NOT WANT THE BOTTLE ANYMORE???

WELL A FEW PPL HAVE TOLD ME THAT THEY STARTED POTTY TRAINING AROUND 11 MONTHS AND I DIDNT KNOW IF I SHOULD HAVE STARTED IT ALREADY!!!
    KaydensMother

Answer by KaydensMother at 3:25 AM on May. 31, 2009

• With my son, he was 2 years and 2 months when he started. It used to be believed that you should start at one year. But it was taking a very long time to get it done. My mother did this with my oldest sister nearly 30 years ago and it took her almost a year to get her potty trained she says. So with the next one, she waited until 18 months to start. With me ( I am 23) she waited until I acted like I wanted to do it before she started. She will still say that I was the easiest, but that may have been because she had done it twice before. My son was about 3-4 weeks before he was wearing underwear at night. My daughter is 15 months and we have no plans to start yet. We are probably getting her a potty for Christmas, which will put her at 22 months.

Give him filling foods, and a balanced diet. At one year, he can eat enough actual food, that he doesn't need the nutrition from formula or breastmilk.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:30 AM on May. 31, 2009