Is it normal for a newborn to favor one side of their head when laying on their backs??

My daughter is 2 months old almost and when I lay her on her back she seems to only lay on one side of her head more then the other. I'm affraid that her head is going slightly flat on that side. I move her to one side or the other and she manages to get herself on her back again. If I put her on her stomach she'll cry and roll herself back over. I don't want her head to go flat from her laying on the one side of her head. If it does, what could I do to fix it??

LDougherty3

Asked by LDougherty3 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, its normal. My 3 month old had this same issue and she did develop a lil' flat spot. I asked my doc about it and he said that most likely when she was in the womb, her head was laying that way so her muscles or ligaments in her neck or more streched on one side than the other. He told me not to worry about it or lose sleep, try to keep her off that side as much as possible and a few times a day try streching her neck the oposite direction. I've noticed a big difference since then and her little flat spot she had is starting to go away.
    JJzMaMa87

Answer by JJzMaMa87 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• this also happend to me what you need to so is place to thin rolled up baby blankets on each side if her so she is in line with her body you can do this when she is in her swin or chair but dont do it when she is unattended. also if you can try to stretch her neck the other way every once and a wile..... i have early intervention come to see my child and those are the things they do with him
    starlettestars

Answer by starlettestars at 5:34 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• yes you will want to switch this as much as you can so that she doesn't develop a flat spot on her head. try to get her to move it also but having her turn to look at you. etc. if you don't their neck can even stiffen up some so they have a real hard time turning later on.
    MichiganMom3691

Answer by MichiganMom3691 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• yes most babys favor the side that they are going to right with just like when they are in your tummy they move to one side and stay there
    Mommy_Rose23

Answer by Mommy_Rose23 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• you have to try and help her switch postions or during the day when she's not fussy maybe after a nap put her for tummy time. my daughter might need a head band b/c she's always tends to be on one side more than the other. talk to your ped she'll show you some stretching exercises to encourage her to to go the other way. i do the exercises with my daughter at every diaper change for only a few seconds. oh and tummy time doesnt have to take forever 1 minute, 5 times a day is considered enough even if you lay flat with her on top of you. hope i've helped out :)
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• forgot to mention when you feed, carry and burp her try to alternate sides :)
    2precious2

Answer by 2precious2 at 9:25 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• Yes, but try to work her muscles doing what 2precious2 said. Congrats.
    papai

Answer by papai at 10:36 PM on Aug. 11, 2008

• Yes it is normal, my son is five now and I can still see how his head is mishaped b/c of that. I think I am the only one who can tell though. lol
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:31 AM on Aug. 12, 2008

• My daughter did this also . . . because she was born 3 months prematurely, she was monitored very closely during her infant and toddler years and was started on physical therapy at 3 months old (1 month adjusted age). She had a tightening (called "torticollis") of the muscles/tendons on one side of her neck, most likely caused by how she was positioned in the womb. We did a series of daily home stretching exercises to loosen up that side of her neck and worked on tummy time (which she absolutely hated). The exercises helped somewhat but it wasn't until she became more mobile that the problem sort of corrected itself.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:05 AM on Aug. 12, 2008