help on how to wean my first child.

My daughter's a year and 4 months. I'm trying to wean her from breastfeeding, but I took her pacifier away from her a few months ago, and since then, she only falls asleep while breastfeeding. My biggest problem is nap time and night time. I don't know how to get her sleep without putting her on my breast.She just won't sleep any other way! Any suggestions? Please help.

fefe87

Asked by fefe87 at 6:40 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her a cup w/milk in it and then when shes done brush teeth and put her in her bed, it will take a few nights maybe a week but she will settle down and go to sleep. Start talking to her about being a big girl now and she will catch on that this is what big girls do.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:44 AM on May. 31, 2009

• My son was the SAME WAY!!! We weaned him at 16 months...and even though he was a total boobie monster he did quite well! He was having reactions to whole milk so that made all that much harder. The reactions wore off after a week, but until he got use to it I gave him soy milk vanilla bean with the dha additives which he LOVED and was all for. I gave him his sippy with milk when he asked for a boobie, I held him like I did when I nursed and if that didnt work I gave him to someone else and left them room. Overall I had to be away from him for a week when it came to naps and bed time because he wanted boobie. My advice...JUST DO IT its harder on you and your boobies lol then it is on her. GL!!!!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:53 AM on May. 31, 2009

• oh and I also told my son "all gone" he knew what that meant because when he was finished eating in his high chair I would tell him "all gone/done" so he believed me when I told him that boobie was all gone. and Keep them covered :)
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:55 AM on May. 31, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommend breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give her a sippy cup with water, and make sure that she is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:47 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I had the same problem w/my 15 month old. She would only brestfeed for naps & bed time. I had to stop brestfeeding because i found out I was pregnant. My brest would hurt so bad. Any ways I really wanned to stop brestfeeding. So what i did was I put some hot mustar on my brest & i just let her have it. She didn't like it so every time she would want to brestfeed I would put some more. She would smell my brest & wouldn't want to feed. The next day she didn't want to brestfeed any more. And now shes no longer bresfeeding. Before she goes to sleep offer her some thing to eat & have a cup of watter or milk next to her bed. Because shes gona wake up for drinks. Good luck i hope it works for you like it did for me..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 1:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009