Cat brining me "presents"!

How do I stop my cat from bringing me dead mice? A couple days ago she brought one to me in the middle of the night and left it on my bed while I was sleeping. Well this morning I found 2 on the bottom of my bed in my blankets that she had to have brought to me last night! I understand why they do it, but how can I get her to stop leaving them in my bed. The idea that I slept with those things last night creeps me out.

aeneva

Asked by aeneva at 7:22 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Our cats do this and they are inside only cats. They catch the mice in the basement. Like Aeneva, I understand why they do it, and I like that the mice aren't surviving to run around the house, but ewwww. We do have the place exterminated now, including mice, so this hardly ever happens. I don't have an answer other than that. I wonder, since it is happening so often to you, if you would pick the mouse up with a paper towel or gloves, take it next to the cat's food dish put it on the floor, give the cat a treat and praise her when she follows you to see what is going on, and then dispose of the mouse. Perhaps this would train her to take the mouse to the food area first so she would get praise and a treat. It doesn't even have to be to the food area- I just thought of that to give taking the mouse there a pleasant association with being fed and getting treats.

Answer by Bmat at 9:08 AM on May. 31, 2009

• This is your cat's way of showing love and respect. The only way to get it to stop is to keep the cat in the house.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Is your cat an indoor only cat? If so, can you do something to get rid of the mice yourself?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:07 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Ahhh kitty loves you. Sorry they are ending up in the bed ith you.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:03 PM on May. 31, 2009

• yup your kitty loves you. the only thing i can think of is to set some mouse traps so she doesnt have any mice to bring to you.
    USAF.Wife

Answer by USAF.Wife at 3:28 PM on May. 31, 2009

• Maybe she is leaving them on your bed becuase it smells more like you than any other place in the house. If you aren't too attached to the blanket on your bed how about putting it somewhere else in the house for a while and showing the cat where it is. Maybe even lying down on it with her where ever you put it for a few minutes. Then maybe she will take them there instead. And you can just sleep with a different blanket and on a mouse free bed! lol.... just an idea! Good Luck!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:33 PM on May. 31, 2009

• OP here. We live in the woods and cat can go out the doggy door as she pleases. She was supposed to be indoor only cat, but she figured out how to follow the dogs out the doggy door when they unlocked it and so we just got her a remote for her collar too. She has brought birds in the house before and left them on the floor at the foot of our bed, but the mice she insists on putting in bed with us! I think I will try the treat thing and if that doesn't work then maybe take our blanket and put it on the floor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:07 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I really feel for you, but it could be worse.. especially since you live in the woods. My aunt's cat used to not only bring her dead birds and mice, but the favorite thing the cat would bring my aunt was LIVE garter snakes. She would sit in her room either on the floor or the bed and bat at them to stay put until my aunt noticed them. The cat also left three dead ones in my cousins bed who was living with her at the time. I am not sure you can stop this completely or at all, unless you get rid of the cat. And as attached as the cat is to you, I wouldn't even consider that (poor kitty)!! I would think that associating the place the cat leaves your 'presents' with a treat would be the only solution though. Good luck!!
    SlapHappi

Answer by SlapHappi at 8:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I had a cat that would sit in the livingroom and howel(she was part Siames) untill I came and thanked her and then threw everything outside(we lived in the woods). I dont know but i think the blanket on the floor thing might work
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009