2 questions......

1) Does putting down and insulting other peoples beliefs make you feel better about your own?

2) How do you/would you feel when others try to put your beliefs (or lack of belief) down?

Sometimes it seems like those who do try to put others down don't stop and think about what they are doing. Maybe hearing the answer to these questions can help us all understand each other a little better! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• 1) Only when those people attack me first. I get great pleasure in attacking people who have attacked me. Sorry, I'm being honest here.

2) No big deal, really. I know what I believe and I'm comfortable with it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:38 AM on May. 31, 2009

• WOW.... nope ! i will never put anybody down for religion or beliefs...and it's awful thing to attack anybody for what they believe>>)

rubipresiosa1

Answer by rubipresiosa1 at 8:49 AM on May. 31, 2009

• 1) Yes.
    2) I always feel better when someone puts down my belief system. They must just be feeling doubtful about their own to do that.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 9:16 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I give what I get!  If people are respectful of me then I am respectful of them.  I have zero tolerance for ignorance and stupidity.  Both seem to run rampant on cafemom.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:17 AM on May. 31, 2009

• 1) I don't put down other peoples faiths, it isn't my place to do so. I believe what I believe and they believe what they believe. I would rather discuss their faith with them to get a better understanding of what it is they believe in.

2) That's okay, it isn't their religion, it's mine. Obviously they believe in something else and that is working just fine for them. Turn the other cheek and all!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:18 AM on May. 31, 2009

• 1) Does putting down and insulting other peoples beliefs make you feel better about your own?

>>> no, but I get tired of certain religious comments, because they are based on ignorance... and ignorance annoys me to no end.

>>> I say, go ahead and try.. i'm open for a good debate..besides, I know why I'm an atheists... because I studied for years before making a decision.. rather than just go on believing what my neighbors did, I questioned things.. and this is where I am now.. some doesn't like it.. oh well. . as I said, I'm open to a good debate.. I just get really tired of ignorance.. and that seems to be the only type that respond negatively.. or in odd annoying ways. namely the anon.. perhaps we should ban those
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:05 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I have also studied for years and have made a complete commitment to the Christian faith and to God, "on my own." I don't believe just what someone told me to believe. I KNOW why I believe what I do and there is absolutely NO question in my mind. So, if someone is to attack me because of my faith, I pray for them because I know there is a God and that He loves us! It doesn't upset me, it just saddens me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 31, 2009

• 1 - I don't believe in putting down peoples' beliefs, as I believe all paths lead to God and that truth is subjective, that all religions/faiths are from and of Him, and therefore no one is any more "right" than anyone else - we just know what is "right" for us personally, and we have to respect that about others.
    2 - I'm used to it. Being a Christian with "different" beliefs you have to get used to it. It doesn't bother me.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:35 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Yes it makes me feel good and superior. I don't see it so much as attacking, but trying forcefully to make them see the light aboutt he lies they are living.

As for how it makes me feel when others say something about my beliefs or lack thereof: I don't give a flying fig. I LOVE to debate them and make them look like fools.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:04 AM on May. 31, 2009

• 1- I don't need anything external to make me feel better about my own belief. And trolls are hardly representative of their own, or at least I hope for the sake of all their fellow believers they aren't.

2- They are going to do it daily, so I really don't care. Not everyone is brought up to believe it is there job to annoy others in the name of a god, but for those who are, you can't really do much about them. I'd guess most people got over them and their little toothpick spears years ago.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:16 AM on May. 31, 2009