Do you think it's okay to believe in God "just in case"?

Do you know anyone that says they believe in God just in case he's real? IE...they're not completely sure he exists, but they say he does just in case Heaven is real?

I don't think it's right to go against your own heart. Nothing wrong with being a heathen. We have snacks.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:34 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

•  I think it is silly and definitely something I would not do.  I refuse to live a lie.  It ranks right up there with believing out of fear for me.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:36 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Thank you! That's exactly what I meant, believing out of fear. I couldn't think of the term though. That's what I did for years and years, I just believed because I was scared not to believe. I was lying to myself and I didn't like it. I feel a lot more free now that I'm following my own heart and not what people say I should follow.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:40 AM on May. 31, 2009

• "We have snacks." Ha! That's cute!
    But to answer your question I would have to tell that person it doesn't really work that way. If you're going to believe in heaven "just in case" wouldn't that mean you would have to believe in re-incarnation and purgatory and the river styx (just threw that one in!) and so on and so on? Good God that would be exhausting!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:40 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Ditto anetrnlov.

Christians keep telling me that I NEED to go to church and I NEED to read the bible and I NEED to pray.  Well I could do all those things but it would be empty because in my heart and mind I STILL wouldn't believe it.  So why bother?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:42 AM on May. 31, 2009

• That's a good point! I guess I don't necessarily mean the Christian God when I ask this question. It could be any religion's deity. I'm sure there's just as many people believing in a bunch of different religions out of fear as there are people believing in the Christian God out of fear.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:44 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Those that believe "just in casE" aren't doing themselves any favors. It's not going to make a difference what comes out of their mouth--it's all about whats in their heart...and God knows.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:55 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I think it's uber wrong. Sadly I know more people that believe that way than not. I have far more respect for those that really dig in and follow a belief system to it's roots.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:06 AM on May. 31, 2009

• yeah.. my grandfather is one of them.. me no... if I don't believe I don't believe.. and that's that.. no use wasting my energy on the "just in case".. besides if I am wrong, then I'm wrong, but I'm not going to blame myself for it..I did what I wanted to do, and am having a good life.. not easy at times, but good.. so why care what comes after... sorry but if there is a God.. he's not anyone I want to worship anyways. Sounds too much like an egotistical, chauvinistic, jealous child.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:12 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I think that's very interesting how people can believe in God out of fear. It really does not make sense. God LOVES us and showers us with goodness. "All good things come from God", so why wouldn't we believe? That's what I don't understand. I think unfortunately a lot of people have misconceptions about God and it saddens me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I believe God wants us to come to Him because we really WANT to, and not because we've been scared into it in any way, that He wants us to CHOOSE a relationship with Him, and to actively seek Him because we WANT to love Him.
    I also don't believe in hell, but that everyone gets to heaven.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:30 AM on May. 31, 2009