breastfeeding

how long should you breastfeed your lil one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh boy...

There's no "perfect" time. Everyone is different. Do what you feel comfortable with.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:51 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Well, my 18 month old is still nursing (I plan on baby weaning when she is ready). The WHO recommends 2 years. BUT do however long you are comfortable. There is really no hard and fast rule. Keep in mind that breastmilk (or formula if you stop nursing) should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:53 AM on May. 31, 2009

• 12 months is the current APA recommendation, 2 years is the current WHO recommendation, but if you don't want to/can't do it that long you should really, really try to do it for the first 6 months because your antibodies really help your baby in that time. It's your decision, but since you're asking, I would say shoot for 12 months and go from there.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:55 AM on May. 31, 2009

• The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 AM on May. 31, 2009

• i have been tryin to have another baby (no luck yet) and i want to breastfeed i didnt with my first bc my husband was deployed and i was scared if she didnt take to it or i didnt have enought milk it would make me depressed more then i already was. she just put her head on my chest and i couldnt imagen breast feeding her at almost two. she has almost all her teeth wouldnt that hurt?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Trying to imagine your 2 year-old (now) nursing when you didn't nurse her is totally different from nursing all along. You will know what you can/want to do. My first daughter weaned herself at 11 months (I was pregnant) but I plan on nursing my second well into her second year of life... I will keep an opened mind either way. I agree that American pediatricians are subject to some very bad influences, but it's also worth remembering that the WHO is keeping into mind populations with unsafe drinking water, etc in their recommendation of 2 years. Learn as much as you can about breastfeeding, about pediatric nutrition, and find what works for you in your situation.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:22 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Generally speaking, as long as it's mutually desired. I say, it's best for at least the first year, and better for the first two years. Basically, the benefits never stop.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:36 AM on May. 31, 2009

• According to the AAP 1 year MINIMUM, the WHO recommends a 2 year MINIMUM. :) with no stopping time, as long as it's mutually desired. (obviously you don't force the child to continue nursing, etc)

I believe in child lead weaning, so Becka was 21 months when she weaned. Taegen will nurse until she wants to stop, or if something happens and I can't nurse etc.

I say for one year at LEAST if the mom feels she needs to wean. Only because there really is no point in going before 1 and giving a child formula.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:17 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Whatever you're comfortable with....if you FORCE yourself to go by certain guidelines you may end up disappointed...I had dreams of nursing til one year but I have had to supplement for the last couple months which I was really really upset about mainly b/c of the people on this website that put you down for it and keep quoting the WHO....anyway, I finally decided for MYSELF that my DD and I are both happy and that's ALL that matters...and she's very healthy and still getting some BM and still nurses at night. The bottom line is don't tell yourself that if you don't go by the AAP or the WHO that you're a failure b/c you're NOT! Good Luck =)
    Anonymous

• As long as YOU want.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:25 PM on May. 31, 2009