What's up with prunes?

I thought they were supposed to move your bowels? My little girl is a little constipated so I fed her a jar of prunes. Nothing (it's been 3 days and she has been pooping, but she is still a little constipated). So do prunes really help us go poo? Or is that another myth I fell for? lol

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:57 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son gets like that as well from eating certain solid foods and will have ball poops or hardened poop strips. Anyway, the prunes work like a charn on him and sometimes do well! You just have to feed them a little bit of the oprunes through out the day until she starts pooping regular. I have also done the dark Karo syrup but it takes longer to work IMO. Good Luck to you!
    mommy2JJP

Answer by mommy2JJP at 3:30 PM on May. 31, 2009

• They worked like magic on for my girls, but I guess everyone's different. How old is she?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:59 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Until I joined Cafemom a few months ago, I never heard of a constipated baby or child. What do you feed these babies?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I thought they were supposed to help. How old is she? If she is a toddler, try giving her ONE teaspoon of castor oil in her bottle or sippy cup mixed with whatever she is drinking. If you don't want to try that, just have her drink lots of water or juice!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:02 AM on May. 31, 2009

• If she's a toddler, I would just buy a super-ripe pear and feed it to her. Try that rather than caster oil.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:06 AM on May. 31, 2009

• or you culd try karo syrup in her milk, like a tsp of it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 31, 2009

• If she's pooping, why do you think she is constipated?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:36 AM on May. 31, 2009

• When you say "constipated" what do you mean? That may seem like a silly question but people tend to have differing opinions on what it really is. Also, how old is she?

Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:44 AM on May. 31, 2009

• She is 5 months old, and by "constipated" I mean she'll poop like one little doo-doo ball a day. Like a hard play-dough ball or something.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 2:58 PM on May. 31, 2009