When to start finger foods?

My DS is almost 7 months old. I am terrified to give him anything....my 2 year old choked on a puff when he was little and now he doesn't swallow chunks. We have to puree everything and my husband and I are convinced it is because of that incident. Our little guy is totally different however in that he puts everything in his mouth and our older guy didn't put anything in his mouth. What are good things to start with. He is working on sitting up...doing pretty good and learning to crawl.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stay away from the sugar sweetened baby puffs. Start with puffled brown rice (in the cereal aisle), a small cube of avocado, or a small piece of a baked sweet potato.

Has your older one been evaluated for a sensory issue?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 AM on May. 31, 2009

• You can buy a really, really ripe pear and cut it into very small pieces. That's less scary then the puffs at first. My second daughter is so much more into finger foods than my first was, so we've moved fairly quickly, but I'm very careful about size and how much she can put into her mouth at a time. I broke the puffs into even smaller pieces when we started, but as he learns what to do with it you'll start feeling more confident. Small pieces of soft fruits, avocado, banana, pears (make sure they're ripe) are great to start with.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:02 AM on May. 31, 2009

• The puffs only have 1 gram of sugar per 72-90 pieces, depending on the brand. It's about the same amount as in plain cheerios.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:03 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Watch your baby for when he is ready. Babies who are ready for finger foods can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:55 AM on May. 31, 2009