• In the Spotlight:

Second C-Section

When having a second c-section, do they make you labor? Or do you just walk in and get sliced open? My first one was an emergency c-section, so I labored first.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Normally they just scedule you for the c-section.....usually a few days to a week before your due date. Unless you happen to go in to labor before the sceduled section. Thats how they do it here anyway.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:33 AM on May. 31, 2009

• That would be great. I went through enough labor the first time. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on May. 31, 2009

• well it depends if your doc wants you to try a vbac. If he does then you do labor and try to deliver vaginally. But most docs give you a choice to have a repeat and then its schedualed. I for one coul never go t hru the pain of a section again....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:40 AM on May. 31, 2009

• They would schedule it if it was a scheduled c-section. Usually they will do it between 38 and 40 weeks for a boy and 37 and 40 weeks for a girl.

Personally I would not consent to a repeat c-section without attemping a VBAC first unless I was not a good candidate for it and really there are very few things that make it unsafe to attemp a VABC.

The ACGO says that VBACs are SAFER for mom and baby than repeat c-sectiions and that the risk of uterine rupture with a VBAC is actually around 1% contrary to popular belief so you have a larger change of something going wrong with a c-section.

Just food for thought if you haven't considered a VBAC....GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 31, 2009

• yea, they normally do give you a choice...matter fact...i work in surgery and i know the doctors(behind the scenes) would so much rather just do a csection if you had one the first time!!! They know that you would have to labor and it may not work to deliver vaginal and then youd have to have a section anyway....lol. They would much rather scedule it also so they dont get a call at 2am in the morn!! But, all docs are different...so who knows!
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:43 AM on May. 31, 2009

• No VBAC for me! My first delivery was terrifying and scary and totally out of control. I don't want to go through anything like that again. I can prepare for what I know is coming this way. I didn't have a choice the first time, and I **know** c-section pain. It may be the worst pain, but I can handle it, especially more so now that I have experienced it before. Thanks though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Sceduling a c-section because it's more convienant for the doctor is extremely unethical!

C-sections are good things when they are needed and they do save lives but the fact is our c-section rate is more than 2 times what the World Health Organization says it should be!

Every women who walks into a hospital in this country (whether they've had a c-section or not) has a 1 in 3 chance of leaving with a c-section scare.

To section a women based on the idea that "it might not work anyway" is completely irresponsible and rediculous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I already had a c-section, duh, so its more likely that I would have to have one anyway, answer #7. I don't want a VBACC so you can just shove your "ethics."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 31, 2009

• HEY, i didnt mean to scedule it because of what doctors think. That is not what my intentions are. I was just saying that because i could tell she didnt want to try vaginal delivery.....i was trying to make her feel better. There is no reason to be bashing. everyone has there own opinions. Ive worked in surgery for 9 years....and i know there are numbers stating that csections can be dangerous...but ive done a million...and none that ive done went bad. Anyway....no reason to be bashing on here.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:54 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Thanks angie_david. I totally didn't want an debate on ethics. I honestly feel like a scheduled c-section would be safer in comparison to what we went through last time. I'm glad to get a behind the scenes opinion. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 31, 2009