Tricare question for Military Families?

My daughter is 13months old and I tried to call Tricare, but they are not open on the weekends....obviously, but I checked the website and they said they don't cover a visit unless you pre approve, but what do I do if my daughter has a horrible upper respiratory infection and I need to be seen by an Urgent Care or Walk in clinic? Has anyone experienced this and does Tricare still pay? I have "Prime."

mrstremblay

Asked by mrstremblay at 10:44 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would def. go to the ER. Insurance can be so particular.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ypu can go to any er , just present your id and it will be covered. we have had to go to the civilian er and it is covered every time. with urgent care ask if they will accept it, because i have never been to one. hope that helps. we have prime also.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 10:48 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Did it pay the ER visit 100%?
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:49 AM on May. 31, 2009

• yes...100% all 6 times lol
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 10:51 AM on May. 31, 2009

• you only have to pay for the prescription, as with any doctor visit, we went to walmart and got the 4$ generic prescription
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 10:52 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Oh that's good.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:55 AM on May. 31, 2009

• ok, well maybe I will just go to the ER, I'm not looking forward to sitting there for 10hours with a fussy 13month old.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:56 AM on May. 31, 2009

• some ers have a "special" place for babies to go so that they arent in the main er with all the sick adults. u also get seen a lot quicker. hopefully the hospital has one of those.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2009

• We have tricare but not prime and when we have to schedule a last minute appointment it covers almost all the cost. I would assume that prime would cover it all
    Mya-Audreysmom

Answer by Mya-Audreysmom at 12:18 PM on May. 31, 2009

• We have Tricare Prime and i take the kids to the ER and Urgent Care whenever they need it. I've never paid anything. The only think you will have to pay is a copay for the script if you get it off base. Now, when we were visiting home to Michigan our daughter got a rash. We weren't near a base and were 1000 miles from our duty station so we called Tricare to see what we should do. In that case, they would only cover Urgent Care if we got a referral first, which took a day to get, but they would have covered the ER cost no matter what.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 12:30 PM on May. 31, 2009