Should he have to cut his hair?

My 13 year old step brother in law lives with his mom and step dad. They let him keep his hair as long as he wants.But every summer when he goes to his dad's house they make him cut it. Is this right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• We don't get to decide how other people parent. I believe in choosing battles, and hairstyle is not a battle that I would every choose to have.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't make him do it. Why does his dad though? If it is a religious thing or a military thing, well, there may be less chance of changing it, but otherwise I dont think it is right. To each his own though. I won't even understand the inner workings of other parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 31, 2009

• When I was a teenager, I tortured my mother by dying my hair every awful, unnatural color I could find. So no, I don't think they should make him cut it. If that's the worst thing he's doing with his head, they should be more than grateful. He could come home with a blue mohawk one day!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 1:38 PM on May. 31, 2009

• A child needs to know that he has to follow house rules.

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 2:11 PM on May. 31, 2009

• "A child needs to know that he has to follow house rules."

A child also shouldn't be forced to do something, which is WITHIN the rules in his normal household, just because he is spending the summer at another household. The adults at the home he spends summers at should respect the fact that he is doing what he is completely cleared to do by the adults who have primary custody of him. They aren't exactly teaching him how to compromise with, or respect the wishes of, another adult who has more responsibility over him.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 3:39 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't know why some parents make such a big deal over hair. He should not have to cut it unless he wants to.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:59 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't think their should be rules about hair cuts/style. Hair styles come and go, and have no lasting impact on a child's well being - however, the feeling and resentment of having been forced to obey a ridiculous rule will probably, unfortunately, last forever. The next time those folks tell him 'they only want the best for him; they're on his side, etc" he'll probably resentment.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 8:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009