I just found out I have IUGR and am at almost 37 weeks pregnant. I'm terrified. I am on bedrest. Last week i was at 2 cm and 50% effaced. I am scheduled to be induced in 2 weeks. Terrified!! Any advice?

akate

Asked by akate at 10:57 AM on May. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is that never heard of it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Whats an IUGR?
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:59 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Intra Uterine Groth Restriction. The baby is in the 5th percentile for growth.
    akate

Answer by akate at 11:00 AM on May. 31, 2009

• IUGR is when the baby is smaller than what is expected at the time of term.

Take care of yourself and listen to your doctor. You and the baby will be fine.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:01 AM on May. 31, 2009

• I just found out why they are inducing me a week before due date...it's to prevent stillbirth. That scares me to death!
    akate

Answer by akate at 11:03 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Just rest and relax. Extreme stress can restrict growth as well so you definately don't want to add to the situation by stressing.

I am curious though...If you're already term and your body is showing signs of readiness than why are they waiting so long to induce you. Wouldn't it be safer to get the baby out as soon as possible so he can start getting nutrition (breastmilk and fortifier) on the outside?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on May. 31, 2009

• Has anything been said about your placenta? Or does the placenta look ok? Did they tell what they are estimating the weight of the baby to be? There is a margin of error with weight since they estimate it based on the dimensions of the abdomen. Could just be that you're having a small baby.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 31, 2009

• My son had IUGR and was 5 lbs 1 oz at birth. They waited till I was term to deliver him cause they thought that it was better for him to be in me than on the outside. Do they suspect anything wrong with the baby (that was the case with my son)? Also, are you eating like you should be? They told me that I had to start eating more to get the baby's weight up (I didn't even gain 1 lbs during his pregnancy).
    sondamom0828

Answer by sondamom0828 at 12:27 PM on May. 31, 2009

• If they are waiting so long to do anything then you might as well go into labor on your own. What all have they done to see if it really is IUGR?
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 12:41 PM on May. 31, 2009

• I don't understand why they are waiting to induce me either. They have not said anything about the placenta so I assume it is normal. They said that her development is right on track but she weighs maybe 5 lbs if that and I'm almost 37 weeks. It seems like I wont make it to the date they scheduled to induce me but I don't know. They only did an ultra sound and diagnosed the IUGR.
    akate

Answer by akate at 6:22 PM on May. 31, 2009